Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2010 GL 450
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 e320 wagon. I have done all the mechanics myself but have always left the detailing to others. They get by but I hae really never been satisfied so I am going to do it myself. My only concerns are with the luggage racks, roof rails and windshield surround which look to be flat black. I hate that white haze that shows when wax gets on there. Whats the correct solution to avoid this.

Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
Present Stable = '88 560SL ,'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, '06 LR3 HSE, and '17 Newmar Essex
1,318 Posts
I have a 2000 e320 wagon. I have done all the mechanics myself but have always left the detailing to others. They get by but I hae really never been satisfied so I am going to do it myself. My only concerns are with the luggage racks, roof rails and windshield surround which look to be flat black. I hate that white haze that shows when wax gets on there. Whats the correct solution to avoid this.

Thanks
Mike
Cleaning 1st may be your starting point, I.e. to remove embedded contaiminents including wax/polish buildup or residue. Consider using an acetone or other cleaner/stripping agent to remove these, using a soft bristle brush for the porous or textured sections, ie an old toothbrush or better a small fiber brush and allow to dry(note - doing so may seem to lighten the black trim, either rubber, viynl or plastic but will prep the surfaces for the dressing and provide a better end result.

Then you'll be set to apply trim restorers such as Mothers "back to black" , Turtle Wax trim restorer, or other brand of your choosing. I typically use a small piece of foam to absorb the product and apply it especially for the porous/textured components. I do not recommend using glossy dressings, I.e. Armour-All, etc as these tend to leave a glossy/greasy finish that does not look natural. Some may advise the 303 Protectants which are good and dry to a more satin finish.

This process has worked very well on my Land Rover which has a lot of exposed plastic trim (fender arches, doors, roof rack and windshield/glass trim enclosures.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Trim renovation

Faded vinyl and rubber has to be the most difficult to restore; they resist most restoration attempts as most products either wash away or fade. Vinyl moulding on modern cars and SUVs that present the ultimate challenge, re-dying can be both time consuming and expensive.

To renovate and to accomplish long lasting renovation repairs on ultra violet (UV) faded, scuffed, or scratched black exterior trim, moulding, mirror covers, door handles, etc. without replacement or repainting This system is long lasting and can be applied without the use of specialized tools, these products are not dressings that will wash off after a short period but rather is an actual dye that can last from 6 - 12 months.

Vinyl is only semi- porous, since it cannot readily absorb a dressing or protection; the products remain vulnerable to the elements. Water- based polymer products however, form a molecular bond and provide a longer lasting matte finish, similar to the OEM.

Solvent-based dressings have more shine; they will permeate the surface due to its solvent content, but can be removed with detergents and pressure washers. Vinyl and rubber restoration products contain dyes that can stain the paint surface, so they should be removed before they are allowed to dry.

Clean surfaces using Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for urethane covered upholstery and vinyl trim, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture, tactile feel and resiliency; use to clean all coloured and clear water-based acrylic polyurethane covered automotive upholstery and vinyl; this product is biodegradable and formalin-free

a) ValuGuard Exterior Trim Repair Kit (ETR) - solves the stubborn problem of "gray bloom" sun fading and wax/polish residue on black trim components. Each kit contains one half pint ColorGard to re-blacken the component, one half pint UV Gard to ensure a long lasting repair, one half pint of New Car Prep for pre-cleaning to avoid fisheyes, and a selection of application sponges and protective gloves included. Returns the part to original finish, this is a renovation type product with outstanding durability unlike cover-up products.

b) Forever Black™ Car Care Products - use specially formulated dyes instead of silicone to bring back the life to faded black bumpers, trim, tires, bed liners, etc and they hold the colour much longer and help protect against environmental elements such as ultra violet radiation (UVR) and doesn’t attract road grime or dust

1 - 3 of 3 Posts