Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I own a 1988 560SL that I bought in California about 7 years ago. Now I'm in Kuwiat.

A year ago, the car started acting weired. First, the "Check Engine" light on, the next day the car started shaking and blowing black smoke like an old diesel engine and dies. At that time the shop performed a complete tune-up, replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator, the Fuel Distriburot (clean/used), fuel injections along with rubbers, Fuel filter and the spark plugs. After all that, the car was performing well.

8 months later, the "Check Engine" light went on!!! and the same dilemma is happening again!!! I personally replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator with a new one and the car started running well, but after driving for 10 minutes, it starts dying again with lots of smoke. Took it to the shop, they also tried to check with another Fuel Pressure Regulator (Used), again the car ran good, but encountered the same problems after driving for 10 minutes.

Well, during the time from 2007 - 2009, the car was not driven for a period of about one year, but it drove five when I got back. I'm thinking that this problem is caused by dirt accumulation in the fuel tank and the line!!:confused: Any advice?

Thank you
Fahad

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Hi and welcome, with the check engine light coming on I would look toward the oxygen sensor might be malfunctioning. Blowing black smoke like that would lead me to believe you are running very rich, which a malfunctioning sensor might cause it to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome, with the check engine light coming on I would look toward the oxygen sensor might be malfunctioning. Blowing black smoke like that would lead me to believe you are running very rich, which a malfunctioning sensor might cause it to do.
Well, I have pre-ordered the O2 sensor a couple of days ago, it will arrive in a couple of weeks. I'm proceeding by rule of elimination until I reach up to the fuel distributor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

I know it's late, but just to close this subject out. I had ordered the O2 sensor and replaced it, the engine improved, but not much.
One day I was driving in an auto industrial area trying to chrome some items, while I was driving around, I happen to find around 5 old Mercedes-Benz lined up an a small parking area. There was a small that seats one car, in which there was a 70s year old guy with a coworker. He happens to rebuild fuel distributors a for any type of Mercedes!!! I had the car towed him, this is what he had done:

- Took out the fuel tank, chemically cleaned it out and replaced the fuel filter.
- Replaced the Fuel Distributor with a rebuilt new one.
- Replaced the distibutor coil with another used one.

He asked to use the car for a week, to give chance for the fuel distributor (Rubbers) to settle in, then come back for final adjustments. The cars runs like new and better than ever. This whole thing cost me around $375, which I'm grateful for.

Fahad

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
Hi,

I know it's late, but just to close this subject out. I had ordered the O2 sensor and replaced it, the engine improved, but not much.
One day I was driving in an auto industrial area trying to chrome some items, while I was driving around, I happen to find around 5 old Mercedes-Benz lined up an a small parking area. There was a small that seats one car, in which there was a 70s year old guy with a coworker. He happens to rebuild fuel distributors a for any type of Mercedes!!! I had the car towed him, this is what he had done:

- Took out the fuel tank, chemically cleaned it out and replaced the fuel filter.
- Replaced the Fuel Distributor with a rebuilt new one.
- Replaced the distibutor coil with another used one.

He asked to use the car for a week, to give chance for the fuel distributor (Rubbers) to settle in, then come back for final adjustments. The cars runs like new and better than ever. This whole thing cost me around $375, which I'm grateful for.

Fahad
Glad to hear you got it fixed. You got all that done for $375. Maybe I should consider shipping my car to Kuwait to have it serviced. :D

Thanks for posting your solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts