Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone have any idea what's wrong with my car?

It doesn't accelerate (no power below 2000 RPM).

It eats too much gas and when I rev up the engine, black smoke comes out of the exhaust.

A local mechanic says its injecting too much fuel.
and that i need to change the fuel distributor or the electronic contoller.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
1,729 Posts
Sounds like you're way too rich, eg there's too much fuel going into the cylinders. Have the fuel/air mixture adjusted, and you might also need a new O2 sensor. I guarantee that you'll need new spark plugs too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can i break something else when adjusting air/fuel mixture?
Is that the one done from top of the air filter housing with a long alan wrench?

(can the fuel distributor go bad from bad adjustment?)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Do not & I repeat do not tamper with the air/fuel mixture!
This is something, I’d leave for the pros. If you already tried adjusting the mixture, you might have knocked it off specifications! You should get a cert. Mechanic to check & adjust the mixture & he could also tell you if you need an O2 sensor. Definitely, you’ll need new plugs(n0alpha) and eventually when the mixture is adjusted, a good tune-up wouldn’t be a bad idea!
Good Luck, Spiros hyprr1
p.s. I messed around with the air/fuel mixture once on my 260E. I couldn’t get it running right after that. Finally, I put my tail between my legs and took it to the stealership.$200 later & my car was running ok........
[V]

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
1,729 Posts
Yep, since your plugs are black like that, they're "fouled", and need to be replaced.

Air/fuel mixture is one of those things that I don't even do myself. Have a pro do it, and make sure that they have a machine with a wand that sticks in the tailpipe, so that they can adjust it so that your car will pass emissions. It should be a state emissions certified shop.

There's an independent Benz mechanic that I always take my car to for those pro-only things, and he's adjusted this for me a number of times over the years, and replaced my plugs too, for about $90. If you were anywhere near Seattle, I'd have you go to him. His shop is Ravelli Motors on Aurora Ave N. and about N 95th St and the guy's name is Morris Ravelli.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just Got a used 1993 Mercedes Benz 190e, I've been finding a way to Solve the Engine running Rich, tho works fine when cold but if warm it won't accelerate and it will be bringing out Black smoke from the tailpipe, I've changed the spark plugs (New) injectors (used) but in a good condition I guess, any advice on what I should check next? Thanks.

·
W201 Moderator
2,220 Posts
If it runs fine cold but has issues when it warms up, I would first check the duty cycle.
Next I would check the O2 sensor. It may have too many miles on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts