Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE JUST ORDERED A 2003 CLK 320 BLACK OPAL AND ASH INTERIOR. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE BLACK OPAL AFTER AWHILE LOOKS DULL AND THE ASH INTERIOR GETS DIRTY REAL EASY. LET ME KNOW GUIES IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM WITH THE COLOR OR THE INTERIOR.

BRITTON

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
64 Posts
Black Opal

Maybe they should rename it Black Opal Swirl. Have a 2002 CLK and can't answer your question about the color becoming dull over time, but mine had excessive swirl marks on it that were visible after the second washing (by hand with non abrasive materials). There are products you can apply that will hide the swirl marks and if you do that, it is a beautiful color. It does show rock chips more than a lighter color would. I have Oyster interior, which is very light, and have not had any problems keeping it clean. But I am probably more careful with this car and tend to baby it. Good luck with your 03. One last thing, a friend had an SLK in the same color and also had bad swirl marks. Both cars came from the same dealership, so maybe it is the way they prep the cars and not necessarily inherent to the paint if it is properly detailed. Darker colors require more maintenance than light ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION I HAVE HEARD ABOUT SWIRL MARKS WHEN THE CAR IS A DARKER COLOR ....

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION I HAVE HEARD ABOUT SWIRL MARKS WHEN THE CAR IS A DARKER COLOR . I JUST THINK THAT THE BLACK OPAL IS A VERY CLASSY COLOR. WHEN IT GOES IN PRODUCTION THATS THE COLOR I WILL PROBABLY GET.

BRITTON

·
Registered
33 Posts
Black Opal is a wonderful color that is unique.

Had a '97 black opal C280 that I bought in '96, which I recently traded-in. Over the course of 6 years, 90,000 miles and lack of garage during 6 months of ownership,absolutely no swirls, ever. Then again, it may be related to the softness of the current water-based paints, although I vaguely remember that the same paints were used back then. Even so, a good polish followed by wax will go a long way. Dark colors with metallic flakes (black opal, obsidian black, jade green etc.) will hide the swirls better that flat colors.

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
64 Posts
You will love it...

It a beautiful, very classy color. Since I've always had lighter color cars, I was not aware of things such as swirl marks and was surprised at the maintenance. It is worth it though, when you stand back and lack at your newly waxed vehicle. Other car manufacturers must like it too. I have seen several cars lately with colors similar to Black Opal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts