Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
MB 420SEL 1986-Bought in 2010, MERCURY VELLAGER-1995, NISSAN MAXIMA 1996, Buick Lesabre 1995
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently painted the Grill Black. What a difference in look and what good feeling after painting the grill.

BUT, I think I have broken the Benzworld rule by painting the head lamp wipers black also. Is anybody out there who has done the same. Look at the photos.

Sahai

Attachments

·
190E, SLK350
66,979 Posts
Looks cool!
On my end, I have used spray paint that was designed for plastics. A year or so after, now I have chips where the old color can be seen through them.

·
Registered
1986 420SEL, 1988 560SL, 1980 300TD
470 Posts
She's begging for some euro headlights.

Black looks much better, but I'm starting to think its a bit too harsh on the lighter coloured cars, maybe a darker grey would look nice.

As for the wipers, it might look better with the aforementioned euro lights, but I think much like the grille it's a bit too harsh.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
I painted my Euro wipers black too. They look great. I hate that pot metal look.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
I'm going black too. I degreased an old grill today that's been sanded to remove dead plastic. I'm going to shoot it with plastic adheasion promoter and follow up with black epoxy primer. Then I'll hit it with SEM Trim Black. I hope it'll take a frikin' brick to chip the coatings deep enough to see the grey plastic underneath :) My headlight lenses still look like new with the plastic film protecting them. I'm looking to shoot a euro bumper and valences in the coming few days. The grey masses of rock chips showing is way beyond ghetto.

Go body color on the headlight wiper arms with the light colored cars is my vote. They stand out very harsh. Reminds me of a girl with huge tat's on her neck. Not so cool :(

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,562 Posts
The black grille looks nice, and i think i'll go the black headlamp wipers route too, on the euros i think it looks nicer but i hadnt thought of it before. I painted mine when i got the car as they didnt match each other. I used some silver wheel paint and it looks SO awful..

The chrome strips on the grill, are they easy to buy/replace?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
The wipers make the car I think...

I LOVE the blackout Grille. Gotta do that to mine too... When it goes into paint for the body.

·
Registered
MB 420SEL 1986-Bought in 2010, MERCURY VELLAGER-1995, NISSAN MAXIMA 1996, Buick Lesabre 1995
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am also looking for Euro head light. Few months back I saw those lights new on ebay for 135 Dollars in pair. I missed that, now I can't find any more. Still looking. Any of you have ungraded tail lights. These tail lights have wide grooves that look old. Do they have plain tail lights for w126- more modern look? Or any others vehicle tail light fits in that place.?

Sahai

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes Benz 420SEL 258,000 miles (SOLD) 1991 300se 168,000 miles, ASR 1999 GMC Yukon 192,000
1,376 Posts
since i have low bucks, will black spray paint look decent?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
since i have low bucks, will black spray paint look decent?
Yes, we all spary them... It's the kind of paint you use. Do not skimp here, go to any Auto Paint store and get a can of "SEM Trim Black" #39143 and that will do it right. That is what I painted my H/L wipers with. I painted my H/L wipers with it because I re-painted the windshield wipers and the door handles and the trunk lock trim in that color too. And my car is black so it matches...

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes Benz 420SEL 258,000 miles (SOLD) 1991 300se 168,000 miles, ASR 1999 GMC Yukon 192,000
1,376 Posts
THanks for the reply,
is the grill easily removed with out damaging the hood release?

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL about 52,000 mileage
354 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but I plan to paint my grill a dark charcoal color rather than pure black. My car is dark blue, but I think the black is a bit too much contrast.

I plan to leave the wiper silver since they blend with my euros well.

Someone recommended using the paint used on charcoal grill exteriors, because it was very durable. Good primer is probably most important, but I will look into durability in more detail when I'm ready to paint.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but I plan to paint my grill a dark charcoal color rather than pure black. My car is dark blue, but I think the black is a bit too much contrast.

I plan to leave the wiper silver since they blend with my euros well.

Someone recommended using the paint used on charcoal grill exteriors, because it was very durable. Good primer is probably most important, but I will look into durability in more detail when I'm ready to paint.
davidarias,

Please don't take offense at my "Bama" joke above. A buddy of mine from there used to use that as a line.

If you want to keep the chips away I'd highly recommend using good paint meant for a harsh chipping environment, not high heat. If you want a dark charcoal color, run down to an automotive paint supply and tell them what you're doing. They can steer you in the right direction for materials and mix up a half pint of color and another of clear with a flattening agent added to prevent a high gloss. Go with an automotive polyurethane like what would go on a bumper and you should have minimum rock chipping issues. That car is too nice to skip using good materials! Many places can make custom spray cans with the materials you pick just for these small jobs if you don't have spray equipment.

Good Luck!

AA

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Yes, we all spary them... It's the kind of paint you use. Do not skimp here, go to any Auto Paint store and get a can of "SEM Trim Black" #39143 and that will do it right. That is what I painted my H/L wipers with. I painted my H/L wipers with it because I re-painted the windshield wipers and the door handles and the trunk lock trim in that color too. And my car is black so it matches...
The SEM is da bomb!

I did a passenger side mirror with it a while back and it has held up very well. I went over the bare cast metal and only have a few micro pits showing through were the rocks have nailed it at 80mph. Perhaps the black epoxy primer would have helped prevent that as a real tough base. I run hwy99 and it's always a mess with a ton of highway construction going on When I pull the SD down for paint the mirror backs are going back to body color with urethane clear and clear protection film.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts