Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
yippym - 3/16/2005 9:38 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9855&item=4536030287&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
I'm quite surprised that this dealer is selling the car on eBay, I would have thought he would have had some current customers who would have been more than interested in purchasing it!!! [?]

Oh well, each to their own!! [8)]

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
beverage - 3/16/2005 3:51 AM

yippym - 3/16/2005 9:38 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9855&item=4536030287&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
I'm quite surprised that this dealer is selling the car on eBay, I would have thought he would have had some current customers who would have been more than interested in purchasing it!!! [?]
E-Bay is actually more of a cheap way to advertise than it is a venue for purchasing a car. If a car is Buy it Now priced to sell, it usually is before the "auction" ends. When the hidden reserve price is top of market or higher, the car just sits with buyers at or below the Edmunds "trade-in" price and the dealers trolling for retail price customers who will come into their local dealerships, test the car, and decide to buy it; that is why most of these "auctions" end early if the car is priced right, and simply END without anyone buying the car at full retail most of the time; I mean, is anyone really going to buy an unwarranted USED car without seeing it and driving it in most cases? In a REAL auction, there is no early bailout, no reserve price (just an acceptable minimum starting bid), buyers can inspect the car and often drive it, and if there are realistic bids SOMEBODY always buys the car, occasionally at a moderate bargain price.

This NEW car is not really being auctioned at all, simply being advertised worldwide at a very low cost, and someone will likely walk in and buy it, leaving any online bidders wasting their time.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
YellowSLK230, EXACTLY... further, unfortunately many times they don't actually even have that car at all. Just trolling for buyers.

This is PRECISELY why you can NOT judge availability by eBAY. On some of the other topics (or forums) people were trying to speculate that SLK55 AMG were in plentiful supply as some dealer had 5 (or something) up on eBay. Prepostorous!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts