Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
C36 C43
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[}:)] i was wondering if you buy the grilles black or if you have to paint them yourselves? And if you have to paint it yourself what kinda paint to use

·
Registered
1995 C36
27 Posts
i believe you have to paint it yourself. i have a stock grille and i painted the inside ...

i believe you have to paint it yourself. i have a stock grille and i painted the inside part black. Just used car spray paint and clearcoat. =) As for the metal frame im not sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: i believe you have to paint it yourself. i have a stock grille and i painted the inside

i believe you have to paint it yourself. i have a stock grille and i painted the inside part black. Just used car spray paint and clearcoat. =) As for the metal frame im not sure.
Painting the chrome will be different. You need to de-chrome it first and then paint them.

·
Registered
SL320, C36
7 Posts
This is kind of a late reply, but hopefully it will help future readers.

The easiest way to "dechrome" front grills, trunklids, etc is by way of applying a black self adhesive vinyls. You could buy this vinyls at any sign shop.
3M or Avery brands should be good enough.

The clear advantages of using this self adhesive vinyls are:
easier to apply than paint
easier to remove (the adhesive on the vinyls will not leave a sticky residue on your car, when you remove it)
cheaper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts