Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Unimog U1300L Year unknown, but it has a Bundesheer rebuild plate dated 96
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you farmers etc run into BKT tyres? and have anything good to say about them? I,m looking at MPT MP567 they look like another copy of the Russian Forward traction...and have the advantage of being available in 14.50x20 and 85Kph speed rating? They seem to be available in parts of Europe? not sure about USA/Canada......they are an Indian company.

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
they are sold in the UK, there is not really a lot bad to say about them when you consider price at the same time.

They will never last as long as a Michelin but they don’t cost any ware near as much as a like for like size/type Michelin tyre.

Just remember being a bias ply (cross ply) you will need to select the right ply rating for the projected maximum tyre load, as having an 18 ply tyre when you only need 12 ply will result in stiff sidewalls, so given your 4000kg or 4400kg maximum axel load you only need 10 to 14 ply range.

www.bkt-tires.com - MPT - MP 567 - 14.5-20

·
Registered
Unimog U1300L Year unknown, but it has a Bundesheer rebuild plate dated 96
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys......I get closer every day to my perfect tyre.....but if you two were not super impressed with them, then maybe they are not a really good copy of the Russian Tyre (Forward traction). You see the thing that impressed me most about the Forward Traction was the depth of the lugs...they really were Deeep. So now I,m down to Stomils (only in 12.00x20) Forward Traction 12.00x20.........or BKT in 14.50 x20 if I can get them here in Poland or somewhere close enough for carriage not to be a problem.

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
I like how they look, but 500 each doesn't seem that reasonable. Not to mention shipping them.

ACUF

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,674 Posts
I like how they look, but 500 each doesn't seem that reasonable. Not to mention shipping them.

ACUF
Seems real reasonable to me. Where is there a cheaper comparable tire? Have you priced regular tractor tires lately...Good god they have gone up and up and up!

C.

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
I agree T Modeler as for 20'', options are limited go 24'' and prices and options are better. It seems more options in 20'' should become available as more and more construction equipment is always evolving I have seen some forklifts and telescopic manlifts w/ 20 '' aggresive tires but spendy.

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
I had the BKTs. They were OK. Just that, nothing more, nothing less.I did a deal on my truck from a dealer, and a new set of tyres were part of that deal. I realise they were on there purely from a budget point of view.When these wore out, I changed up to TVS Eurogrip.This was because they were available at the right price and at the right time. I am more than happy with them.They are far superior to the BKTs (IMHO) both on road and off. They are a full bar tread pattern, so I was expecting them to be dire on the road. I was wrong.I am on my second set of TVS and would choose them again in a shot. I also had 3 punctures on the BKTs, I have had none on the TVS.I found the 12.50r20 BKTs were too skinny for the U1000 in some of the terrain I used to play on, thick mud, clay and watery sandy stuff amongst others. I find the 405/70/20 TVS to be better suited and traction is exceptional.
All IMHO of course, and I'm sure you'll do what it right for you!

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
There was a good vid of Normalbloke I think, playing in some little hills that were slimey, and some mucky holes he was walking his Mog through that stufff and would have been impassable w/ out the bar treads I think.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,438 Posts
Thanks guys......I get closer every day to my perfect tyre.....but if you two were not super impressed with them, then maybe they are not a really good copy of the Russian Tyre (Forward traction). You see the thing that impressed me most about the Forward Traction was the depth of the lugs...they really were Deeep. So now I,m down to Stomils (only in 12.00x20) Forward Traction 12.00x20.........or BKT in 14.50 x20 if I can get them here in Poland or somewhere close enough for carriage not to be a problem.
Here is the distributor in Poland :
Opony BKT :: oponyhurtdetal.pl - opony rolnicze, ci??arowe, przemys?owe, specjalistyczne

1 - 20 of 26 Posts