Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
History:
this winter I had problems starting my 83' 240D in the 30s and when the temperature got into the 20s it was impossible, so I didn't drive it for a week.
Last week one morning with 47F I could not start the car! So I didn't drive it for another week again. Also, my glow plug light does not come on all the time lately.
Today at 3pm (70F) I decided to start the car; it hesitated a little but it started.
I added a 10.14 fl. oz can of LM Diesel Hi-Test on a 1/3 full tank.
I got on the highway and drove for 15 minutes between 70mph and 80mph
then I decided to turn around, and at the exit ramp I could not accelerate normally , but this was intermittent; I drove back in the highway again (70-80mph) and I stopped 15 minutes later for half an hour; as soon as I parked I opened the hood and noticed that of the two bolts that hold the throttle linkage arms on the valve cover the one was missing, and the other was very loose!!!
And I thought that was the culprit! I tightened the bolt that was left, went to a store
and thirty minutes later I decided to go back home. Well, I started the car but it took me 10 seconds or more to get to 20mph! Going down hill I managed to reach 40mph and finally I got home!
What might my problem be?
Any hints?

Thank you in advance,
John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the transparent plastic filter close to the IP around a year ago,
but the spin-on must be there for around 4 years but I started driving the car last May again.
The car has 142k miles on it i have put 52k miles on it since I bought it and Ihave never replaced the tank screen filter.
Also I have to mention that the clear platic tubes that go on the banjo bolts look like they have coffee in them! Could that be a problem!
Thanks for your very quick response!
And yes I do drive my 240D at 80 mph and it could go even more!!! Well... not as of this afternoon!!!

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
after 4 years with the same secondary filter..... yeah, change it right away. i would change it every 6 months thereafter. PM is the KEY to keeping problems away. if i were in your shoes, change both fuel filters NOW. then before driving fix those linkage issues. if you have not changed the oil lately, do it too. not that this has anything to do with acceration, but rather good PM. do the air filter too. then drive the hell out of it and report back.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
240D83 said:
I replaced the transparent plastic filter close to the IP around a year ago,
but the spin-on must be there for around 4 years...

Indeed, time to change the filters. Also check to see if the fuel lines are damp, you may also have an air leak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi folks,

I'm back, I changed the spin-on and primary fuel filters, I even filled them up with purge fluid, but the problem persists.
As I have mentioned my lack of power problem came about after I drove my car on the freeway last week for 20mins at 70-80mph.
Any other suggestions?

Thank you all again.
John

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did you prime the air out of the lines after the filter change? Check for a leaking primer pump. How low was your fuel tank when you ran on the highway? If your tank is dirty and low, it may have already clogged the primary again. Check to see if the color of the fuel in the plastic filter is clear or ........black.

·
Registered
W124
5,911 Posts
The problem with your glow plug light is that one or more of the plugs has failed; this is why it didn't start in the cooler weather. You can either change all of them or test them individually to find the failed one or two. I would change all four considering the duration they have been in service and the apparent lack of maintenance.

Is the low power problem the result of bad fuel or water in the fuel?

Let us know how this all works out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi folks,

I loosened the banjo bolt on top of the spin-on filter and pressed the primary pump a few tiny bubbles came out, but there still are two big air pockets in the clear plastic filter that I was not able to get out. Is this normal?
Also, when the car was idling I tried to press the STOP lever, the rpm was lowered somehow but the car would not stop!
Am I in big trouble?...

Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sos!!!

I did a purge and the problem still persists but, this at least takes the fuel lines, tank screen and bad diesel/algae out of the equation.
Anybody out there that could shed some light?!
HELP!!!
John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Problem SOLVED!

Folks,

do not forget to check the functioning of the throttle linkages!
Yes, that was my problem all along. With the engine idling, I disconnected the linkages one after the other and tested their travel. The one towards the front of the engine was too long, I adjusted it and my baby is flying now!

Thank you all for you time and advice,
John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts