Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, there was a rattle that developed after I put the hardtop on for the winter. It was especially loud when going over a bump or pothole. I assumed that it was that the top wasn't all the way down on the pins and gasket. I lived with it until the spring, when I took the top off and remeasured the pin height, adjusting everything to the book. So, I put the top on this fall and it was still there.

Well, what actually caused it was completely loose side glass in the hardtop. It never was in danger of falling out due to the construction of the top, but still this was Not Good.

I've shimmed it with some pieces of wax paper cups for now, and I will do the (very unpleasant) task of re-urethaning it this spring. This involves taking off a good part of the top interior and the entire side brightwork.

It figures that I nearly killed myself cutting out the extremely well attached side glass pieces of my much older, JUNK hardtop...

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
Does your old junk HT have the rear pin? Member tdoriot needs one.

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
The side glass on one of my tops is also loose but neither top is going on till I decide to sell one of the cars, (probably the 84), and then it becomes the new owners problem.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does your old junk HT have the rear pin? Member tdoriot needs one.
I think I do, but the chrome is gone from it (if that's important).

Edit: Incredibly, I found it, including the nut!

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
Good job.
The trim on one of my HTs is barely hanging on. The side window has fallen out twice.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Both my side windows are loose and rattling on Samson. I was thinking of bringing it to a glass person to have these reset. Has anyone dot a price on that.

Also Strife2. If you happen to have a complete set of white interior trim from a HT I'm looking for one.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
As a temporary fix, could a bead of silicone be forced into the gap, to prevent rattling and water leakage?

I know it's a bit "hinky", but it would hold intil the job could be done right.

Scott

·
Registered
45 Posts
My windows also rattle. One of the online parts houses shows a Rubber Gasket for HT Windows. My HT doesn't have any Gaskets. Should there be Rubber Gaskets?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts