Registered
1984 300TD
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who can solve this riddle?
Begin of delivery: 360 BTDC
end of delivery: 10 BTDC
it starts again at approx 25 ATDC

I checked the whole 360, much of it in 45 degree increments since there is no visible graduated scale , I made some of my own reference marks.

Thats right, totally kookoo. If flows freely for most of the 360 degrees.

Just installed this ip, it's from a car that ran very well.

What can be happening?

Thanks in advance

I'm not pullin' your leg.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
By end of delivery, do you mean that it stops flowing at 10 degrees BTDC in the compression stroke of cylinder 1? Than I'm guessing that the injection timing is at 10 degrees.

When you want to check the timing, rotate the engine until about 30 degrees BTDC in the compression stroke of cylinder 1. Pump hand pump and watch flow from the pipe. If it flows, rotate the engine further, a degree at the time. Repeat until the flow is a drop every second. That is the point of injection timing.

Did you remove the pressure release valve in the injection body?

·
Registered
1984 300TD
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
By end of delivery, do you mean that it stops flowing at 10 degrees BTDC in the compression stroke of cylinder 1? Than I'm guessing that the injection timing is at 10 degrees.

When you want to check the timing, rotate the engine until about 30 degrees BTDC in the compression stroke of cylinder 1. Pump hand pump and watch flow from the pipe. If it flows, rotate the engine further, a degree at the time. Repeat until the flow is a drop every second. That is the point of injection timing.

Did you remove the pressure release valve in the injection body?
yes thanks govert, my mistake was to interpret the phrase "begin of deliverey" in the fsm to mean beginning of fuel flow. I must say that's a phrase which is not possible to translate as "termination of fuel flow" not to mention how utterly inverted the logic is to see fuel stop flowing at the degree of crank rotation referred to as "begins delivery.

Kookoo is right.

i'm hopeful the excessive smoking, which strikes my nose as half burned diesel not motor oil, was the result of an injection timing problem from a few weeks ago that I found a resolution to when I got the fuel injection timing to drip one drop per second at the degree of crank rotation it was starting to flow, not stopping.

Unusual for the germans to make such a mistake as they seem to have made in the syntax or completeness of the fsm.

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
The helix will pick up fuel from the gallery, only when the piston of the pump element is moving upwards, connection between helix and gallery is lost, so no more fuel flow from the pipe. The hand pump puts pressure on the gallery, if the helix is down, fuel will flow out freely.

The beginning of delivery is the point where fuel is delivered to the injector. In the German version of the FSM it is described the same.

·
Registered
1984 300TD
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The helix will pick up fuel from the gallery, only when the piston of the pump element is moving upwards, connection between helix and gallery is lost, so no more fuel flow from the pipe. The hand pump puts pressure on the gallery, if the helix is down, fuel will flow out freely.

The beginning of delivery is the point where fuel is delivered to the injector. In the German version of the FSM it is described the same.
The fsm I have is not so detailed.

thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts