Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
What exactly do you want to replace? the assemblies or just the bulb? For the former you need to take off the bumper before you can get to the assemblies, but for the bulb, it's not difficult at all. You just need to be careful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer tells me that all i need to replace is the bulb.....he says he tested the "other stuff" and its fine. They want $440 to replace one bulb.
I'm hoping I can do this myself

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer said the ballast was ok.....is there one for each light?
What is happening is that the bulb on the drivers side is intermittently on and then off....Dealer says everything is ok but i need a new bulb.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, i know it can be bought easily at many places.....i originally asked if anybody knew if it was difficult to install

·
Registered
123 Posts
The answer is NO, it is not difficult. You can get OEM bulb, i.e. OSRAM, Philips, D1S or D2S bulbs from ebay for about $40. You need to determine what you have first. Just take out the old one by unlocking the big round plastic cover, unclipping the wiring connector to the ignitor (to the back of the bulb), and then untwisting then taking out the bulb.
D1S is the type of bulb attached to the ignitor, and the D2S is the type of bulb detachable from the ignitor in the back. Buy the corresponding one and install in reverse order. It will be exactly 1/10 of the price of what the dealership will charge you. Even if you have to break one to install one, it's still only $80, vs. the $400 you would have to spend.
Alternatively, go to any garage and they should be able to do it for you, but you'd have to pay a little more, though still not quite $400.
One thing, however, is that I would recommend changing BOTH sides at the same time, so that the colour and intensity will be the same on both sides again.

Having said all these, I am actually not too sure if the flashing/flickering light is the symptoms of a failing xenon bulb. But $40 is not a very expensive way to find out.

Good luck

·
Registered
2006 ML350 AMG Package
19 Posts
Just an idea!! Open both sides, switch bulbs, check if the problem follows the bulb or problem continous on the original side. That should save you the expense and trouble in case is not the light bulb. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
C55 ///AMG
559 Posts
It's not difficult but the clips are a bit fussy to get into position. The bulb only goes in one way, so it feels like it doesn't fit, don't force it! Helps to have a small mirror and smaller fingers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's not difficult but the clips are a bit fussy to get into position. The bulb only goes in one way, so it feels like it doesn't fit, don't force it! Helps to have a small mirror and smaller fingers.
Yep, easy to do but difficult to get into correct position :)
I just replaced both bulbs.
I had the symptoms that the other bulb was first flashing ON/OFF, then that stopped and it went to purple, then it went to blue, then it started buzzing :D
After replacing the bulb all problems gone.
And yes, you should replace both bulbs, the xenons loose their power in time, at least it is recommended to replace both at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts