Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Lexus GS2003 Toyota 4 runner , 69 Mercury Cougar, 1989 MB 300e 245,000(Sold),1979 300d 165,000m
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After surfing the forums for about three months, finally took a chance and picked up a 1979 300d for a decent price. 165,000K checked thru DMV
Outside very clean for a 1979. Inside is awfully ratty, i can deal with that later.
Had it towed back to my warehouse and clkeaned it up this afternoon, battery was dead so it tried to charge it , not taking charge. put extra battery I had full charge, and this is what happens.
position 1 then position II get redlights on that dash and the glow plug goes on for 10 seconds and turns off. Twist the key down but nothing happens?

have lights, windows, pos radio comes on but engine doesn't crank.

Has a hoge poge of glow plugs, see a champion wrapper on the front seat.
see pics

where do I start?

Attachments

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts
Glow plugs have nothing to do with why it won't crank. Could be a number of things.

Bad starter, weak battery, bad battery cable, bad neutral safety switch...

I'd say get under there with a test light and have a buddy turn the key to crank. Remember that the key switch has a lockout and needs to be turned fully counterclockwise each time you try to start.

See if the purple wire is getting power. If it is, chances are the starter is gone.

If it's not, then you've got something wrong between the key switch and the starter.

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts
perhaps this will help:

·
Registered
1985 300td, 1983 Datsun Maxima Diesel
513 Posts
After surfing the forums for about three months, finally took a chance and picked up a 1979 300d for a decent price. 165,000K checked thru DMV
Outside very clean for a 1979. Inside is awfully ratty, i can deal with that later.
Had it towed back to my warehouse and clkeaned it up this afternoon, battery was dead so it tried to charge it , not taking charge. put extra battery I had full charge, and this is what happens.
position 1 then position II get redlights on that dash and the glow plug goes on for 10 seconds and turns off. Twist the key down but nothing happens?

have lights, windows, pos radio comes on but engine doesn't crank.

Has a hoge poge of glow plugs, see a champion wrapper on the front seat.
see pics

where do I start?
Hi

When you turn the key to start do you hear the starter solenoid clicking - or just silence? If the later, try bumping the shift lever in and out of Park to help the neutral safety switch make contact. It is rare that a starter is so bad that it won't do anything at all.

X2 on Aaron's suggestions.

Do you know when the car was last running? If its been sitting a long time you might want to check if the engine is free by rotating it with a wrench.

These things are usually something simple like a bad connection.

Good Luck,

Joseph

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes 240D, 1998 Audi A4 Quattro
171 Posts
I would bet that there is a loose connection somewhere if the car is not cranking. Check all the connections going to the starter. These cars are as simple as it gets, if something doesn't work, it's usually easy to figure it out. Congrats on the new car!..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 300CD, 07 ML320 CDI, 04 WRX, 86 300D (totalled by my neighbor), 85 300D (sold)
878 Posts
If you are sure about your battery. Try this.

1) Put car in park
2) Turn ignition to on
3) Near the battery - there is a junction box about the size of a matchbox. There are 2 big screws and 1 small one. Jump the big screw to the small one. This should crank the starter.

Make sure car is in park - otherwise you will be running after the car on foot.

·
Registered
85 300D
285 Posts
If you are sure about your battery. Try this.

1) Put car in park
2) Turn ignition to on
3) Near the battery - there is a junction box about the size of a matchbox. There are 2 big screws and 1 small one. Jump the big screw to the small one. This should crank the starter.

Make sure car is in park - otherwise you will be running after the car on foot.
the 79' doesn't have that junction box on the wheel wheel. you have the jump the connections on the solenoid.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
1,799 Posts
Could it be possible thats its a bad fusible link at the starter?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts