Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing my roof commander. It really was not difficult at all but there are somethings that I think could be clearer in the installation guide. I'll detail them here for anyone who is thinking about installing the unit themselves.

First I'll tell you about my background. I am a computer engineer and therefore have some experience using the various tools, but I think with a little patience pretty much anybody can do this.

The total installation took 4 hours, this included pulling the battery because I dropped a socket that went under the battery and traveling to an auto parts store and an ACE Hardware to get a nut that I also dropped. Without these delays I think I would have completed the job in 2 - 2.5 hours.

First I recommend you do this in a very bright location. Probably outside unless your garage has some serious lighting.

Secondly dont worry about the Under Dash connection with assistant. Simply cut a wire coat hanger and bend it straight then push it thru the firewall. I did this by laying on my back and looking for the light coming in thur the firewall. Use a little tape to attach the necessary wires (be sure to cover the end of the wire so that they will not catch) and pull it thru. Simple and very fast.

Ok now for the tricky bits, these are things where I think the install guide could use some improvement.

Fuse Box (page 5)
The fuse is not in the holder it is in the little bag with the wire splices. Be sure to insert the fuse (I think the instructions omit this) or you will be trying to debug things later when they dont work.

CCM wiring (page 9)
Finding the wires to splice was by far the most difficult part of the process. YOU MUST id the wires by number and the numbers are miniscule. My eyesite is better than 20/20 and I could bare read them. I highly recommend magnification. Once you figure out how to find the wires the rest is cake. Trying to trace the wires back thur the firewall would be a nightmare and is really not worth the trouble just use the coathanger fish described before.

On page 11 the optional "speed limit" step is a little unclear. If you do not want to have the increased speed limit feature you are only going to skip cutting wire 74 all others must be spliced. This was a little unclear and I skipped all the wiring into the CCM. As a result when I keyed the remote the hydralic compressor kicked in but nothing else happened.

I was planning (and still am) to install the speed limit feature. However I screwed up and cut wire 47 which is also green with white strips (Thanks Mercedes)

Otherwise it was pretty easy. I will give one more bit of advise. When crimping the bullet connectors remember that you are trying to crush the metal tube so the it grabs the wire inside. It takes a lot of force. If using a combo tool for the first time you will be using the curvy portion just behind the pivot.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
ok sorry for digging up a 2 week old thread but Im planning on installing this soon.

does the unit NEED to be inside of the cabin? or can it sit under the engine bay?

where did you pull your wires through? have any pix of it?

thanks

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Brian_R170 and I are gonna get together and install mine when it comes. I will take tons of pics as usuall. Once I do it I will be more than happy to help everyone.

keep in mind people just because I have a 2001 slk 230 and you have an 2001 slk 230 doesnt mean they are going to be the same.......they should be but in sterio install ive seen some funky ass crap that makes no sence.

just keep an open mind to differences.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
someone has to have a tip on how to install or at least what to do to make the installation easier.

that would save hours of trouble

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
viet, there's a group buy on right now for $325 del. Which is a hella good price. If you decide to get one, just type Group Buy: Benzworld into the comments section when you're purchasing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 1998 slk and just finished installing the BVRC. Everytime I remotely put the top up, the alarm goes off with it. I installed the orange wire that is supposed to connect to the alarm for pre-1999 models. Any ideas on how to fix this? THanks!!

·
Registered
2003 SLK 230. Speer pulley kit. Depo euro headlights with led. Led taillights
612 Posts
Hi,

I am thinking about getting one too. How is this product differ from the one sold by mods4cars? Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes SLK230
20 Posts
It differs... mainly because the one from Mods4Cars isn't available for the R170 yet! Will be in 10 days though, (supposedly).

Did anyone else noticed that the Bipes one has also gone down to 299?

Mods4Cars

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is by far the best mod out there. If you don't have it...GET IT!!

I use it daily, 2-3 times a day.

I bought it and waited a couple of weeks to install it just because I did not want to cut into the wiring on my daily driver. A sunny Saturday and about 4 hrs later, it was done. It only took that long because I went very slow, double checked every wire before cutting, and followed the instruction book very closely.

That was 2 years ago and I have not had a problem since.

I would highly suggest this mod! Bipes Automotive Mazda Miata Mercedes SLK

·
Registered
98 Slk230
231 Posts
Really wish I didn't have to sell my car. I have had this little gem going on 6 years and it's still working without issues. Here's a link to my install with lots of pictures. Hope it helps.

SLAM BVRC Installation

·
Registered
98 Slk230
231 Posts
Thanks. I have others but just don't have the time to get them to the web site. Let me know if you need help with some DIYs and I'll see if I can upload specific ones. I installed that BVRC back in 2003 when it first came out. I wanted to make the instructions so that anyone like me (at the time very new to the DIY world) be able to take the plunge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts