Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84' 190D 2.2
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just a beautiful 1980 240d and only because he wants to run it off of grease. What woudl i have to do to make my 190d do that. he said hes buying a whole kit that when its done he can just pour it into the gas tank. Anyone have more information on this? thanks

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
biodiedel and wvo are not the same. I ran a mix of Kero, wvo, denatured alcohol and lye in my Jetta diesel without any kit. The kits preheat the wvo it doesn't clog. I could run 70/30 (70 wvo ) when it was 60f or warmer. You have to filter the wvo before you run it. Some kits have a filtering process built in. I'd still filter. Older MB injection pumps can suck some thick oil and not clog. Go to greasecar.org and read all about it.

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,265 Posts
Here's how to do it in a 190D:

Buy the 5 gal size canola oil from Costco
Dump in tank
Top with diesel
Drive.

No mods required.

·
Registered
1984 190D: 2.2 5-speed, well over 500,000 kilometres
85 Posts
I get 38-42 mpg (13.6 kilometers/liter to 14.9 k/l) burning 100% biodiesel made from WVO by a local guy here, but that's with a 2.2 on a 5-speed, your mileage may vary......... :)

·
5,048 Posts
Here's how to do it in a 190D:

Buy the 5 gal size canola oil from Costco
Dump in tank
Top with diesel
Drive.

No mods required.
LOL I did that with my VW... whatever the on sale barnd was at wal-mart got dumped right in. I also ran power steeting fluid, brake fluid, dog urine,...etc. The smell of peanut oil from boardwalk fries or the waste from the chinese restaurant smelled the best.

·
Registered
84' 190D 2.2
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So tell me, whats the best thing i can do to cut prices and keep the same or increase mpg. I get about 32-35 right now, it decreased for some reason from 42 since last summer. But over all, whats the best thing i can do to help my money and my mpg.

·
5,048 Posts
So tell me, whats the best thing i can do to cut prices and keep the same or increase mpg. I get about 32-35 right now, it decreased for some reason from 42 since last summer. But over all, whats the best thing i can do to help my money and my mpg.

Collect waste oil, filter it with cheese cloth and nylon stockings... add a cup per gallon of denatured alcohol to the mix ( I was told it will help with bacteria). Cut it with some heating oil, diesel, etc... Start with 50/50 and go up from there. The warmer the ambient temp, the more veggie you can use before you clog up. If you clog, plug in the block heater, take apart the intake, spray it with starting fluid (wd-40 works in a pinch) and crank away. I didn't clog 'till I was running almost straight vegg when it was 60f out. Did you google it? There's a whole SVO, WVO, Greaser, culture... They are almost cultish!

·
5,048 Posts
In case you didn't know... " at the Paris exhibition in 1900 there was shown by the Otto Company a small diesel engine, which, at the request of the French government, ran on Arachide (earth-nut or pea-nut) oil, and worked so smoothly that only very few people were aware of it. The engine was constructed for using mineral oil and was then worked on vegetable oil without any alterations being made."

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,265 Posts
In cans you didn't know... " at the Paris exhibition in 1900 there was shown by the Otto Company a small diesel engine, which, at the request of the French government, ran on Arachide (earth-nut or pea-nut) oil, and worked so smoothly that only very few people were aware of it. The engine was constructed for using mineral oil and was then worked on vegetable oil without any alterations being made."
earth-nut = ground nut = peanut = huile d'arachides! Son meme chose. This is what Otto Diesel ran the engines on when he designed them.

Al on Saltspring: you're putting me to shame, buddy. But you have a 2.2. I get about 34 mpg city/hwy combined, and on the hwy I am usually doing 120 km/h.

Remember that using biodiesel will not get you any better mileage, or even the same as diesel but will reduce the cost of your fuel and (hopefully) reduce emissions.

I use only new veg oil (SVO) from Costco or Walmart or whatever is on sale; I stay away from fryer oil to keep the solids and fats away; I do not have the time to spend on proper filtering.

The bottom line is that while the weather is warm you can use pretty well whatever will burn in the engine; as the weather gets cooler you need to either heat the fuel or change the mixture. Around here in the winter, most people I know are running max 10% bio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts