Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D (311,500 miles)
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok i'm finally fed up with diesel prices here in Atlanta. There is one retail biodiesel station down in Decatur. Will this stuff run ok in my 84 300D without any mods to the engine? Thank

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
It should, provided that it meets ATSM specs for biodiesel.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It will likely cost you more than regular diesel. What blend are you looking at? Keep in mind that Biodiesel has more of a solvent quality than regular petrodiesel, so keep an eye out for fuel leaks. Also, fuel filters may become clogged because it cleans stuff out of the tank.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
It will run just fine, but it will likely be more expensive but in some cases equal.

·
Premium Member
1998 ML320; 2003 ML500
35 Posts
Ok i'm finally fed up with diesel prices here in Atlanta. There is one retail biodiesel station down in Decatur. Will this stuff run ok in my 84 300D without any mods to the engine? Thanks

I'm with the other posters on this...you ought to be okay. I'm getting ready to convert my 82 300CD (a previous owner replaced the turbo motor with a non-tubro), and think you should do that, instead. Here in LA-LA land is costs about $875.00 to have the kit installed, but I'm sure you can get a better price in Atlanta. (I'm not quite competent enough with a wrench to do the project myself.) Best of all, after conversion, you can buy straight veggie oil at Costo or Smart & Final for something like $2.75 a gallon, and pour it right in the tank. (Heck, even veggie oil is probably cheaper in Atlanta.)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
BIODIESEL is NOT "vegetable oil" as that is a common misconception that is repeated here numerous times. Read the Lovecrap threads, it is a SCAM.

Also legal road taxed pump dispensed ASTM biodiesel requires NO CONVERSION, just check your hoses, change your filters if your fuel system was dirty and go.

Clean veg oil at $2.75 a gallon?.....did it "fall off the truck" :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
WOW ty guys for the responses. I have a question as to SVO,WVO. Does anyone know what "untoward" side effects either of the above have on the environment; if any at all?

P.S. Zedd, wenn ich mich richtig erinnere nicht Herr Diesel tatsächlich fördern Einsatz von Erdnussöl in seinen Motoren?

·
Banned
82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
3,926 Posts
P.S. Zedd, wenn ich mich richtig erinnere nicht Herr Diesel tatsächlich fördern Einsatz von Erdnussöl in seinen Motoren?
Dr. Diesel did in HIS engine. Mercedes, the company that made your engine, designed THEIR engines to use #1 or #2 Diesel fuel not vegetable oil.

Comparing Diesel's engine to Mercedes' engines is like comparing the Wright Flyer to a Cessna CJ1.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very good analogy regarding the engines. I'm the neophyte here regarding the ins and outs of diesels, i'm trying to learn the detriments to "today's" diesel engines and or the environment d/t using SVO/WVO. I'm just really really sick of these skyrocketing fuel prices; and no i dont care what the rest of the world has been paying. I know Venezuela is paying pennies on the dollar in comparison, and i also know Dubai is growing like Brownian movement. Thanks

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
At this time it's better in my opinion to spend your dollars on pump ASTM biodiesel rather than WVO/SVO. It's entirely legal so there is no argument there and it diverts funds from direct petro dollars (you have to grow and refine the stuff with fuel anyhow) and it doesn't directly dump carbon from the ground into the air (if you believe in that at all).

If you want to save money, get a well maintained used Volkswagen TDI or the smallest lightest gasser car you can find if you require long commute times.

·
Registered
1982 300td wagon with 435,000 sold, 1984 300sd 230,000, 1980 300sd 113,000, 1983 300cd 260,000
158 Posts
Peanut oil is like 7.50 a gallon at Sams.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
WOW ty guys for the responses. I have a question as to SVO,WVO. Does anyone know what "untoward" side effects either of the above have on the environment; if any at all?

Others have mentioned, with bio-diesel the only thing you need to keep an eye on is a rubber components, you know, the short fuel lines from the tank to the steel lines, and under hood also. When you need to, replace them with viton, as bio is corrosive to rubber.
WVO/SVO is a different story. No environmental problems, but that's where you need to invest in special equipment, as the $875. You need a separate tank, fuel lines that are heated. Non corrosive tho.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts