Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1989 MB 560 SEC
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find Bilstein shocks for my '89 560 SEC, but everywhere I look I find only the fronts and nothing for the rear hydropnuematics. I found some OE Sachs, but no Bilsteins. Can someone point me in the right direction. I just put new wheels on the car and have the H&R springs but want to do the shocks and springs at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
The '89 SEC has a hydraulic rear suspension, therefore no rear "shock" absorbers. Get a set of standard (Comfort) Bilsteins for the front and a set of rubber bushings for the top of the hydraulic rams (the things that look like shocks) in the rear. Also, 2-nub coil spring spacers for the back and 1-nub spacers for the front.

If you want to do some good preventative maintenance action for the rear, put in a pair of new accumulators (grapefruit sized lumps under the back) when you depressurize the system for the spring replacement. I also put on a new hose from the hydraulic reservoir behind the driver's side headlight over to the hydraulic pump. The power steering pumps on these cars end up with a fluid leak out the back and that drip onto the hydraulic hose will degrade it.

That looks like a US car in Iraq (headlights & wipers). Are you going to bring it back with you??

·
Registered
1989 MB 560 SEC
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The car is in storage in Texas. I've been told they sell the SECs here but I haven't seen any. They call them "Sports" here. Tons of 126 Sedans here though. I'll get the springs and shocks done when I get home next time, probably 6 to 8 weeks this trip out. And then I'll be done here the first part of Sept., so I'm trying to get some of the little things taken care of so I can cruise in style when I get back....

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
dude u can do tons of favours to ur benz buddies back in the US.. go to jordainan free zone and purchase tons of used parts for w126 euro's.. they r like 3 - 4 times cheaper compared to US [:D]

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Mark,
I've lowered seven SECs so far and would be glad to help you with the info to do yours. Drop me a PM with your phone number when you're back and I'll give you a call.

·
Registered
1989 MB 560 SEC
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a line on the accumulators? I would assume some sort of hydraulic hose connections? Much work to intsall them?

As far as the question on the Euro parts in Jordan, I get to Jordan and have about 8 hrs in Amman before getting on the plane to Amsterdam. I'd love to help, but car parts are pretty far down the list of things on my mind after 3 months of looking at Iraqi women....There is a reason these women wear Burkas. I will talk to someone I know there and see if he knows anyone in the business. Since my job deals with logistics in and out of this part of the world, I do have some good connections in the shipping business in Jordan, Iraq, Dubai and Kuwait.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I can help on the accumulators, or any other part for that matter!

Before you lower your car and check to see if it leans to the drivers side (they tend to w/ age..).

You can dial this out w/ different shims.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1989 MB 560 SEC
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When the car was delivered from Florida, it had a bit of a squat in the rear. When the guys put it up on the lift to put the wheels/tires on, I found the manual adjustment on the leveling system. When they put it back on the ground the car sat pretty level. I haven't noticed any lean, but I may have to get an ajustment done. Perhaps new accumulators will take all that out. I only had about 7 days with the car when I was home in April, so I'm just starting to put a list together of the little odds and ends that need to get looked at.

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
The lean in these cars is very subtle. You'll have to measure distance b/w the tire and wheel arch to see what's what. Accumulators will have no effect on the lean in these cars. From what I have seen it's a combination of bushing etc wearing w/ time.

There are two choices to get them flat, replace every last piece of rubber in the suspension or do a bit of compensating w/ spring shims.

Nice car btw, my SEC has the same colour combo.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1989 MB 560 SEC
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where can I get the 2-nub (nub?) spacers for the rear springs and 1-nub spacers for the fronts? Is this a MB product or will aftermarket ones do as well?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
The coil spring spacers are standard MB parts that Jonathan can get for you. He's likely to have a full kit for lowering the car available, including a few preventative maintenance items that should be done "while you're in there". The accumulators have a rubber bladder internally and will go bad after a while. Since they're on the high pressure hydraulic system, the system has to be depressurized to replace them, which is why I recommended doing it when you depressurize to do the springs. All you'll need beside the accumulators are the (likely) included copper washers for the two smaller hydraulic lines. Piece of cake to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts