Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
here's my plan of attack for my 89 300ce, hopefully 1st stage happening this month

1st stage: set of eibach pro kit springs (used=pre-settled), assortment of different spring pads, set of rear adjustable camber arms (have some adjustment in the front and this way you can semi match the settings in the rear to where the front falls in), and a wagon/sportline front sway bar ~~~ rolling on 15X7 with 205/60 X 15 and original stock shocks and a semi close to stock alignment

this gives me some time to decide on which shocks i feel i need, sport or HDs, tires, and evaluate what i've done so far and if anything needs changed

2nd stage: set of RDMTEK front camber plates, bilsteins, my set of BBS RZs, and semi aggressive alignment

·
Registered
692 Posts
FWIW....

I just received my set of Bilstein Sport shocks and just to let you know that they come with all the mounting hardware.
This is important because I ordered all new MB hardware from the dealer. You will need to order new rubber boots (also available from Bilstein under their part number Z4 ASP A140 H0 - but check your application) and bump stops. I used the AMG ones, none in the USA so the dealer ordered them from Germany.

Rusty had the best price and included shipping, had them in my hands in 3 days. Call Tom or Rusty.

I am using Sportline springs #1 pads with 15X6.5 stock wheels for winter snows and for summer... who knows yet. I have a bunch of AMG wheels around and will probably use those or a set of 500E 8X16s.

Parts I ordered - the price is "each" and list, in many cases you could expect a discount.
Shocks Sport -- Bilstein V36-0365 H0 ($128.28)
Rubber Bump AMG -- 129 323 06 44 ($15.00)
Rubber Boots -- 129 323 01 92 ($10.50)
Mercedes Mounting Kit -- 124 990 00 99 ($17.00)
or
Bilstein Mounting Kit -- Z4 ASP A140 H0 ($20.00) which includes boots I think.

Since you are doing a number 1 super quality job you might as well replace the tie rods and drag link at $65.00 each and do a control arm boot repair kit at $8.75 each since you're pulling it apart and will need to do an alignment ($165.00 at Autohaus Mercedes Benz). IMHO, the extra $212.50 is cheap insurance as then the front suspension is all done, no second guesses, no wondering, no excuses and no money left either.
Remember the golden rule of old car hobby, the price is forgotten long before your wife's divorce lawyer takes your deposition.

Kind Regards,

Ron

·
Registered
570 Posts
I went with the Bilstein HD shocks when I first had the Eibach ProKit springs installed about 6 years ago on my 1995 E320. The one HD shock started leaking after about 6 years and I decided to replace all of the shocks with new Bilstein Sports. Honestly, I really can’t tell a difference. Maybe, I feel a little less rebound with the shorter Sport shocks, but it could be my imagination.

It is worth noting that as an interim solution before I got the new shocks, I reinstalled the original stock shocks on the car to pass inspection. They wouldn’t pass me with the obviously leaking Bilstein HD shock. It was terrible with the OEM shocks. The car was bouncing all over the place. The OEM shocks were not that old or damaged. The OEM shocks just were not firm enough to control the stiffer springs.

Conclusion: Either HD or Sport shocks will probably be fine, but the OEM shocks are not the right choice for the stiffer springs. Also, if the car is slammed, definitely go for the shorter Sport shocks. With the traditional 1.3” drop from the Eibach or H&R springs, the HD or Sports are fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW....

I just received my set of Bilstein Sport shocks and just to let you know that they come with all the mounting hardware.
This is important because I ordered all new MB hardware from the dealer. You will need to order new rubber boots (also available from Bilstein under their part number Z4 ASP A140 H0 - but check your application) and bump stops. I used the AMG ones, none in the USA so the dealer ordered them from Germany.

Rusty had the best price and included shipping, had them in my hands in 3 days. Call Tom or Rusty.

I am using Sportline springs #1 pads with 15X6.5 stock wheels for winter snows and for summer... who knows yet. I have a bunch of AMG wheels around and will probably use those or a set of 500E 8X16s.

Parts I ordered - the price is "each" and list, in many cases you could expect a discount.
or

Since you are doing a number 1 super quality job you might as well replace the tie rods and drag link at $65.00 each and do a control arm boot repair kit at $8.75 each since you're pulling it apart and will need to do an alignment ($165.00 at Autohaus Mercedes Benz). IMHO, the extra $212.50 is cheap insurance as then the front suspension is all done, no second guesses, no wondering, no excuses and no money left either.
Remember the golden rule of old car hobby, the price is forgotten long before your wife's divorce lawyer takes your deposition.

Kind Regards,

Ron
AWESOME thanks for the detail

·
Registered
570 Posts
Bump stop question

My Indy told me the Bilstein Sports came with bump stops, I think they were actually installed on the shocks. Is my Indy a little crazy? Are the AMG bump stops different? I do remember seeing a variety of sizes and maybe firmnesses too, in a link provided by AMGDave.

I might not totally understand bump stops, so please forgive me and please correct me if I am clueless. Is the purpose of the bump stop to insulate the car from bottoming out on the shocks? If so, how often do you think the shocks actually bottom out? Are superior quality bump stops really that important, if it is just a once in a blue moon rubber stopper?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW....

or

Kind Regards,

Ron
I'm looking at Bilsteins website, and it does not have the sport as an option for the 1989 300CE, only comfort and HD. But it does have have Sport for the later year 300Ce's. Can we run the sports on an 89?

-paul

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I'm looking at Bilsteins website, and it does not have the sport as an option for the 1989 300CE, only comfort and HD. But it does have have Sport for the later year 300Ce's. Can we run the sports on an 89?
-paul

The later year Sports will fit...

However as I typically stand alone, the HD's with a lowering spring are a good combination for the street.
Porsches use this combo quite frequently.

I've run HD's with H&R Sport lowering springs for three years on a suspension that handles about "Hammer V8 " equivalent torque...
Great balance and weight transfer...

Your choice...

Ed A.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The difference between the HD's and Sports is the height. The sport shocks have shorter valving and are made to be used with lowering springs. The HD shocks are made to be used with the stock height springs. So if you're lowering the vehicle, get the Sports.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The later year Sports will fit...

However as I typically stand alone, the HD's with a lowering spring are a good combination for the street.
Porsches use this combo quite frequently.

I've run HD's with H&R Sport lowering springs for three years on a suspension that handles about "Hammer V8 " equivalent torque...
Great balance and weight transfer...

Your choice...

Ed A.
Ed:

I was wondering what is your opinion regarding the Bilstein HD vs Sport vs the factory Sportline shocks?

I just replaced the factory Sportline shocks with the Bilstein Sports and have found the Sportline shocks, after 200 miles, to be a little more firm. I'm even thinking of "going back."
This is on a 092 - E320 wagon
How can this be?

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The difference between the HD's and Sports is the height. The sport shocks have shorter valving and are made to be used with lowering springs. The HD shocks are made to be used with the stock height springs. So if you're lowering the vehicle, get the Sports.
Not quite...

Side by side the dimension of the HD and Sport is identical.
Valving is the same.
Sport has an internal stop that limits the stroke of the rod.
Both sit at the same point when compressed or loaded.

Only technical reason for using Sports would be on an extremely lowered car where you might have a chance of moving the springs off of their mounts due to the 1" longer extension of the HD.

This is not pure conjecture, it's based on living for three years with the HD's on a 300CE that has almost 400lbft of torque at the flywheel ( 300lbft / 262 rwp, Mustang Load Dyno, 7psi boost, 30% documented drive train loss )

Ed A.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Ed:

I was wondering what is your opinion regarding the Bilstein HD vs Sport vs the factory Sportline shocks?

I just replaced the factory Sportline shocks with the Bilstein Sports and have found the Sportline shocks, after 200 miles, to be a little more firm. I'm even thinking of "going back."
This is on a 092 - E320 wagon
How can this be?

Thanks

Ron
Hey Ron

In my opinion, I feel the HD "feel" is closer to the Sportline then the Sports.
I run HD's, H&R Sport springs and front and rear Sportline bars.

This setup not only handles better but gives an overall ride quality that I feel is much improved over the stock suspension.
I can compare because I took delivery of my 300CE new in May of 1988.

Valving is the same between the HD and Sport.

Oddly enough I agree with you that the Sportline shock seems firmer.
That was what I was getting across with my comment about the standard Merc shocks that my car was delivered with.
Ride quality is better and feels less firm with the Bilsteins as they seem to absorb the shock better then the OEM, hence not feeling as firm.

The Bilsteins seem to perform with more ease then the OEM giving a feel of a less firm shock..which to me is the ultimate because they are actual performing their task better then OEM !!!

Ed A.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ron, do you know who makes the MB Sportline struts?
Z:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Sachs makes them.
Their number, not the Mercedes part number is: 82 4904 553 230
These are for the front. I do not have the rear number.
Kind Regards,

Ron

·
Registered
55 Posts
As what has been discussed, if you intend to lower your car with H&R or Eibach would recommend to settle for Sports Shocks as it was designed to handle the tension and weight ratio of a lowered spring. I just got mine yesterday:)

Will be installing this after a few weeks as Gen 2 body kit was installed and now its being painted. :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts