Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,669 Posts
HDs are stock for the front, Comforts are stock for the rear. You will notice a significantly firmer ride if you go HD's all around. I prefer comforts in the rear of my stock 107.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz
1,802 Posts
I just replaced my shocks with Bilsteins. I have used these shocks before on BMW installations. but they seem to improve the SL more due to their softer suspension settings. Flat cornering, absorbs road imperfections like a sponge and just plain ride nice. If you are considering a shock replacement on your Benz and you like a slightly firmer ride with tighter handling, spend the dough on them, you will not be disappointed.
dws
I've just upgraded to the HD's in the rear and it handles and drives sooo much better!

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,377 Posts
Anyone tried KYB Gas-A-Justs on an R107? I've had good results from them in the past, performance-wise, and a set of four is less than half the cost of the Bilsteins. I'm interested in firming up the ride, and don't anticipate putting more than a few thousand miles a year on them so longevity isn't my primary concern.
Somebody woke up this thread and made me read the whole string. Next time I'm looking at dates. Anyhow this old question remains unanswered.

YES, I installed a set of KYB's on my 450SL. Ride is great, price is right. Go for it.

·
Registered
1999 Porsche 911 / 2013 ML350 / 2006 Mini Cooper S
671 Posts
I've been holding off on doing this, as a pretty knowledgeable MB indy in my area says that the spring rate really determines the ride and handling - unless your shocks are absolutely shot. He indicated that just changing shocks on my 560SL may not produce the results I want. BUT....I'll probably order up a new set of B's and make it a winter project. ;)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz
1,802 Posts
I've been holding off on doing this, as a pretty knowledgeable MB indy in my area says that the spring rate really determines the ride and handling - unless your shocks are absolutely shot. He indicated that just changing shocks on my 560SL may not produce the results I want. BUT....I'll probably order up a new set of B's and make it a winter project. ;)
Though I am new to many things MB my family and I have been in the manufacturing and repair of mechanicals for close to a hundred years. Still there are more that have greater knowledge. One probable person is the 24 De LeMans engineer in this forum. He might agree with me when I say this: Springs are the dominating factor. However, bound and rebound are controlled by all dampening force. MacPherson invented the strut type suspension purely because of this argument. Previous suspensions were controlled in front and rear by leaf springs. The strut system proved to have more control and drivability. To summarize, your mechanic is ultimately correct. However, you will notice the change.

·
Registered
1999 Porsche 911 / 2013 ML350 / 2006 Mini Cooper S
671 Posts
EXCELLENT feedback. THanks very much!!

·
Registered
1979 450SLC 5.0L, 1995 E320 Coupe, 2005 E55 (sold), 2000 E430 4Matic (crashed), 1990 300E (sold)
244 Posts
Does anybody know the correct part number for the HD shocks to fit a 79 450SLC? Ive looked and can only seem to find the Comfort B4 shocks

·
Registered
1979 450SLC 5.0L, 1995 E320 Coupe, 2005 E55 (sold), 2000 E430 4Matic (crashed), 1990 300E (sold)
244 Posts
Front, I have SLS in the rear

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks, but that looks like the Bilstein B4, which from what Ive been told is the Comfort series. B6 is HD and B8 is Sport.

·
Registered
'70 280S-'73 450SLC-'81 380SL-'84 500SEC Euro-'92 300SL24-'95 E320
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Interesting side note......

I just replaced my shocks with Bilsteins. I have used these shocks before on BMW installations. but they seem to improve the SL more due to their softer suspension settings. Flat cornering, absorbs road imperfections like a sponge and just plain ride nice. If you are considering a shock replacement on your Benz and you like a slightly firmer ride with tighter handling, spend the dough on them, you will not be disappointed.
dws
In Sept '14 I swapped out the Bilsteins in the SL and installed them in my '73 SLC. Hardly 1000 miles on them. Given the additional weight of the SLC, these shocks are much better suited for this car. The transformation was beyond what I had hoped. Firm, not harsh. Car glides over bumps and body roll is significantly reduced. The SL now has KYB's and those seem better suited to the SL and provides a smoother ride.
dws

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all. I got these from a Bilstein dust
Rear 24-00511 (which I noticed is correct for my 107 1977)
And front they gave me 24-005265 which is intended for w114. They said they share the same subframe. We don't have a lot of 107s in Egypt so they don't get their stuff regularly. Will is really work??

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,377 Posts
I put bilstein comforts on the rear this weekend. It is an easy one hour job. Here is my 4m video with part numbers. Hope this helps advance this discussion.

·
Registered
2003 E500 V8, 1988 560SL
144 Posts
The mounting bolts that come with the Bilstein shocks, sucks. In each package with each shock, I received :

1 lock nut
2 lock washers
2 bolts

What a pain in the azz to get these bolts threaded, ( lock washer in between bolt and A frame on top) they are barely long enough.?? The top bolt [email protected]&*@
I would have used the old bolts, but one stripped, I didnt want to deal with that again, so they all had to come out.
I will reuse the old lock nut + washers with lock-tite. Any issue with that?

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,669 Posts
The tool for the rear shock on the 107 is a Snap-on A139 with a universal joint. It's 6mm between flats. I use an A137 which is 1/4" between flats and works very well despite being 1/2mm loose. The Snap-on socket is expensive but it is shorter that the socket below and space is limited so I'm not sure if the AutoZone one will work.

Just put a wrench on the nut and spin the shaft with the socket.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/shock-absorber-socket/oem-shock-absorbing-socket/246374_0_0

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,377 Posts
The mounting bolts that come with the Bilstein shocks, sucks. In each package with each shock, I received :
1 lock nut
2 lock washers
2 bolts
What a pain in the azz to get these bolts threaded, ( lock washer in between bolt and A frame on top) they are barely long enough.?? The top bolt [email protected]&*@
I would have used the old bolts, but one stripped, I didnt want to deal with that again, so they all had to come out.
I will reuse the old lock nut + washers with lock-tite. Any issue with that?
Sorry to hear of your difficulties... Not sure if we have the same shocks, my video shows a 1987 560SL rear, that is installed with the supplied top locknut, 2 lock washers, and 2 nuts. I took a screenshot at around 2:26 to show the nuts at 33.2 foot pounds on the existing threads. I did not use any bolts on the rear shocks. Did you follow the shop manual? I screenshot the alternative lower nut arrangement below from page 32-110 where MB says to stack 5 washers to pull down the special bolt so sufficient threads pull out for the shock. However there is no need to punch out the special bolts unless the threads are buggered.
I may revise the vid to show front shocks as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 E500 V8, 1988 560SL
144 Posts
This is a shot of the bolts I took out; One stripped stock bolt and the other is the bolt that came with the shock.
It will work, but the stock bolt is made for the setup, clearly....

24-005111 Bilstein shock part number

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,377 Posts
OIC. I did not use 005111's as shown in the vid. If that happened to me I would use a longer bolt with the supplied nuts.

I had such good results with replacing the rears, I went ahead and refreshed the front shocks with Bilsteins. Rather than a separate video I combined the fronts and backs in one stream. I have a remarkable improvement in the ride even though the old shocks were not showing any obvious signs of wear. Part numbers and test drive are shown.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,068 Posts
PanzerPuff, I had the general idea on how to replace shocks but have not done it yet on my hard riding 560SL. Your videos are very well done, details exactly the process, and well prepares one for the task. Thanks much for sharing.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts