Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
'70 280S-'73 450SLC-'81 380SL-'84 500SEC Euro-'92 300SL24-'95 E320
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my shocks with Bilsteins. I have used these shocks before on BMW installations. but they seem to improve the SL more due to their softer suspension settings. Flat cornering, absorbs road imperfections like a sponge and just plain ride nice. If you are considering a shock replacement on your Benz and you like a slightly firmer ride with tighter handling, spend the dough on them, you will not be disappointed.
dws

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
If you are considering a shock replacement on your Benz and you like a slightly firmer ride with tighter handling, spend the dough on them, you will not be disappointed.
Ayuh.

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
You mind posting the part numbers of the shocks you bought? I have two sets of numbers and was wondering if they coincide with yours.

I plan on doing my shocks in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem:
Fronts: F4-B36-0707-HO
Rears: F4-B46-1184-HO

eBay or BenzBin seemed to have the best pricing.
dws

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Those are the part numbers I have - only thing that disturbed me was Bilstein calls the fronts "Heavy Duty" and the rears "Comfort". But no matter where I turn, the only Bilsteins I see have those same part numbers.

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
You can also use B360-525 on the front.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I never saw those before; they come back as Comforts for the front. Doesn't help me, though, I wanted Heavy Duty for the front and the rear.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also wanted HD al around but the only set up I found was what I installed. Don't know why it is but I am very happy with it.
dws

Reactions: Automobilist

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I had assumed they used the HDs up front because of the weight of the engine, but with my SL's tendency to have a saggy rear, I thought a stiffer rear shock might be better. What I want doesn't seem to exist though, so I'll buy the HDs for the front and the comforts for the rear.

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
Have you tried bilstein.de ? The US site shows the HD/Comfort choices only. The .de site is in Deutch, and I couldn't find an application search. But I'd wager a query in English via the Kontackte would garner an English response.

I can't believe their aren't some performance choices out there that may not be available thru domestic channels. Considering the rareness of your sled, and it's performance quotient, it might be worth the effort.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I can't believe their aren't some performance choices out there that may not be available thru domestic channels. Considering the rareness of your sled, and it's performance quotient, it might be worth the effort.
I agree, but Bilstein is supposed to be the best so I started there. Since Bilstein doesn't seem to offer what I want, I guess I will do a little research into something else before doing anything.

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
I agree, but Bilstein is supposed to be the best so I started there. Since Bilstein doesn't seem to offer what I want, I guess I will do a little research into something else before doing anything.

I wasn't very clear. I suspect bilstein.de may have some different and more performance oriented choices as opposed to the softer US version of the 107.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,626 Posts
I wasn't very clear. I suspect bilstein.de may have some different and more performance oriented choices as opposed to the softer US version of the 107.
I have had this conversation with POS before. I went directly to the Canadian distributer and the HD fronts and Comfort rears were all that was available from Bilstein. They changed my car completely. The rear end still sags a bit but that's the job of the springs. I will replace the rear springs........ one day.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,626 Posts
You mind posting the part numbers of the shocks you bought? I have two sets of numbers and was wondering if they coincide with yours.

I plan on doing my shocks in the next few weeks.
From a thread on Oursl.com................
To all interested... Searched for best price for the Bilstein's I wanted, found them at Auto Parts Warehouse | Discount Auto Parts Online - Get Free Shipping - Auto Accessories - AutoParts - Performance Parts - Car Parts - AutoPartsWarehouse . Every other site was close but this was the best and free shipping (FAST) and a 10 % discount. Biltstein front shocks "heavy duty" (the ones that made all the differance)- part#wo133-1611450/Bilstein p#f4-b36-0707-ho. Rears "heavy duty"-p#wo133-1612941/Bilstein p#f4-b46-0511-h0 (may have been alittle stiffer than I would have liked) Rear "confort" wo133-1612533/BILSTEIN P#f4-b46-1184-ho. I'm just sorry I didn't do this sooner, Our weather has changed and the "SL" may be in the garage for sometime. Good luck guy's. You won't be sorry . Later Dave

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Excellent, Nobby. Thanks mucho!

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
What's weird is that my original shock seem to feel pretty good despite their age. I would change them but not until they give up the ghost. I don't think the previous owners put the car through the rigors of heavy duty high speed cornering like I have. Did I ever tell you guys 'bout the time I got my drift on around a corner going like 60mph, now that was fun!

Owning one of these cars seems to be an exercise in spending money.

You want performance check out the koni red adjustable shock. Those are the one's I'd like to get, but you have to tune the suspension after and I don't have the knowledge to do that.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Bilsteins seem to be the best for the Mercedes, but I just didn't want the "Comforts" for the rear. The only reason I want to change them is that the ass feels a bit loose under heavy acceleration and a couple hundred bucks for some shocks/steering would probably be money well-spent on putting a firmed ride back into this car. If that fails to give me "bang for the buck", I'll do all the suspension bushings next. Those probably need to be done too.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
I just did the sway bar buschings on my pickup and think that would really help the handling on my car. The slc seems to dive to one side. The shocks are still alright, I cut off a bus onto the freeway and hit 80mph around a curve. the other thing I need it stops so I don't oversteer.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts