Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to get some Bilstein B4 spec front struts of the A210, on ebay - £100 the pair, plus fitting. Definitely better than the leaky old oil shocks that they replace, the B4's are set up not to be any harder than the standard setting. They certainly do better over bad tarmac (we have a lot of that here), and my mechanic also changed the top mounts, which has massively improved the cornering, too. I haven't done any longer trips yet, but on the round-town zooms that i've done so far, i think I recommend the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
A160 W168 /2002
546 Posts
Pitty he hadn't upgraded the swivel bearings while he was there ( see my page 26 )
Tight fisted Mercedes have only put 16 ball bearings in a 32 bearing case , very easy to upgrade as the bearing comes apart .
This make the steering and reversing so different its unbelievable.

Mercedes Germany HQ refuse to say why only half the bearing are in the cage .
Money money money and of course the bearings fail earlier as they are doing twice as much work as they should be which all makes work for their workshops, in other words built in defects.

Albert Rowe, Lofty's homepage. A-class info, wine making, solar panels, Scotland, Canada Rockies, orchids.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts