Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been the proud owner of a 560 SEC for about 5 months now, and something disturbing has begun to happen...

About 3-4 weeks ago I began to notice that the car was emitting a little tiny puff of smoke every time I accelerated. I shrugged it off as nothing and continued on my merry way. However, the last two weeks, there has been a considerable increase in the amount of white smoke burning (oil, I presume).

Now, whenever I step on the accelerator I get a puff of smoke to come out of my tailpipe! I have changed the oil and filter, replaced coolant (it was time to do it anyways), and checked for external leaks, but there are none to be found.

FURTHERMORE - when I pulled into my garage today, I noticed the smell of rotten eggs, so does that mean my cat is on the way out too?!

Please help, and if any of you know of a good, HONEST MB mechanic in the orlando area, I would appreciate it.

Paul R.

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much $$$ to fix?

·
Registered
2004 ML270
531 Posts
If it's a blown head gasket you will usually have noticable water loss.

Pulling the plugs and checking them should tell you which cylinder is taking in water.

If you are going to do the headgasket you have two options, pull just one head and replace only that gasket and put it back together or pull both heads and do additional work like valve seals and guides, chain etc whilst you have it apart.

Matt.

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
It is near impossible to tell you how much to fix. Labor rates vary so much. I can get labor done around here for $30-$35 an hour. I have heard some people quote as high as $75 an hour. If you do it yourself it is free.

If I were you I would take the advice of the other poster and have everything done at once.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
Could it be a bad transmission vacuum modulator letting tranny fluid be sucked into the engine? I thought that burned as a white smoke cloud.

Check ALL fluid levels. Also, look at the leading edge of the exhaust system and see if something is dripping onto it, causing the smell. Is the engine oil still look like maple syrup or a chocolate milk shake? Tranny fluid level too low?

Do a compression test of each cylinder and see if they're up around 170# (?) each and within 5# of each other.

·
Banned
1992 W126 300 SE
11,045 Posts
Many years ago a friend of mine experienced the same symptoms as you and after spending a lot of time and money checking the obvious,the problem was traced to a fault in the braking system causing the vacuum to suck fluid into the inlet manifold.A cloud of dense white smoke was produced every time he hit the gas hard.A little brake fluid can produce a huge amount of smoke.So per Mramay's advice,check all your fluid levels very carefully.

Please be sure to post back when you have solved the mystery.
[:)]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do. I am going to have the white smoke coincide with my timing chain/guide replacement as well as a gerneral tune up for the car so to keep labour costs to a minimum.

Yeah, over here they charge 80-95/hour and believe me, it HURTS. I'll let you guys know what it turns out to be as soon as it is fixed! I hate to see my proud Euro SEC in this condition[:(][:(][:(]

G

·
0 Posts
I'm hesitant to jump in because I'm not much of a mechanic, but I recently had a problem where my '89 420SEL would let out a puff of smoke after accerating. Usually it only happened after decelerating fairly rapidly, then stepping on the gas again. Would belch pretty good.

Maybe you've already done this because it's so simple, but check your plug wire ends. I had a bunch of corrosion on the end of one wire end where it meets the spark plug tip. Cleaned out the green corrosion and it completely solved the problem.

Maybe you'll be lucky and it's something this simple. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts