Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with some decent inexpensive bike racks for a 300TD? I've been looking for something that will attach to the existing rails on the roof.

I'm starting to get the notion I could build a rack for less than the extremely overpriced racks out there.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
If your license plate frame is strong enough you could try Performance Products, they sell bike racks that could install on the license plate brackets. Might work for yours, but I am not sure if they have one for the W123.

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tiger_biru - 2/22/2005 9:20 PM

Can't you just put them (the bike) inside your wagon?
Got two bikes... both won't fit inside. I can haul them in my van, but the Benz is more economical to drive.

I think I might build one. I refuse to pay what the readily available racks cost.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I believe that the manual warned against a particular type of rack.

"The only type of rack we recommend to be mounted on the roof is the drip rail mounted type which has no other supports (suction cups or legs) to support the rack on the roof. Such supports may lead to marring of the paint or even denting of the roof if excessive weight is placed on the rack."

This is what the manual says for sedans. If it's different for wagons, I'm sorry. But I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1982 300 tdt
12 Posts
jrehm,

On my last car that had drip rails,I used a pair of aluminum roof racks. They were an extruded design, light and extremly strong. I picked them up at a yard sale so I don't know were to tell you to look.
I then purchased Tuele(sp)brand bike holders (the ones with the upright arms to lock in your bike, NOT the ones were you have to take off the tire.) I drilled through the aluminum channel and bolted on the racks with stainless steel fasteners.
The Tuele(sp) were a little expensive (seems to me at the time)but they out lasted two used minivans and five years on the third (left on the vans all year in New England.)

It worked well for me. Good Luck.

All the best.
Paul[:)]

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are racks called Quick N' Easy, they attach to the rain gutters(drip rails), they are sturdy and inexpensive. Just like a Yakima or Thule but a fraction of the cost, as you only get the brackets and you make your own load bearing crossmembers out of some 2x6 or 2x4. Could be an opportunity to make a real classic looking roof rack if you got nice wood and broke out the Thompson's Water Seal. I kinda wish I had done that instead of buying a Yakima.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts