Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have have the G500 and need to put a bike rack on it. Does anyone know of a bike rack or hitch I can purchase that will fit? The dealership is going to charge about 1500 - I just want to bring my bike...please help!!!

·
Registered
brabus G36
500 Posts
The cheapest way to do it is removing the sparewheel cover and buy a bikerack that you can fit over the spare wheel. Or you go to a machine shop and they make you a rack that fits on the sparewheel mount.

I have seen those bikeracks from mercedes for the G. They are expensive but well made. They are for a part mounted on the sparewheel and for a part on the reardoor hinges. In this way they put less weight on the reardoor. On bike is not a problem but when you putt 4 bikes!!!

·
Registered
'03 G 500, '06 Cayman S
95 Posts
http://www.rockymounts.com/bedmount.asp?nav=&page=bedmount

I bolted two of these to a 2"x10" cut to the width of the interior behind the folded back seats. I carry my bikes inside the truck.

Just another option...

·
Registered
97 Posts
hollywood racks makes a rack that sits on the spare. I have one. Its about a 100 dollars. Takes 5 minutes and does the job. It'll have to do until I get a million dollars to get the MB hitch, then a real bike rafk.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
I like J.edward idea too for foul weather transport.

I ditto mcshin's post. Hollywood spare tire rack is great i have one too. In some previous posts (try a search) i think i detail a pit tip for how to initially adjust and install the rack so you don't have to use any straps to keep it on, and the average theif still can't get it off if he tried (it happened to me).

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
the guy in town has one that comes off his triler hitch. clears the spair tire and all. ill get a picture and name for next time i see him.

from looking at it at the red light it looks like it just slides in the hole on the hitch and slide the pin in so it will not come out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts