Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke down about 187 times today. It took me 2.5 hours to get 8 miles. Car idled ok drove it and it died out, took about 4 cranks to start it, drove 20 feet, died. 4 more cranks, started, another 20 ft. Died. It just keeeeeps dying, temp gauge is at half, outside temp is 78, 145k miles, 50% duty on mixture, car sat for 5 years prior, new distributor, wires, plugs, when cold I guess its decent, atleast it don't die every 15 feet.

300e 3.0 12v auto

I woulr really love to keep this car, I have 11 other cars in my collection and would like this to stay

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,471 Posts
Fuel filter? Tank strainer?

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
a car that sat for five years most likely has a lot of contamination in the fuel system. if any old gas is in the tank, drain it out, replace the fuel filter, put in fresh gas and a fuel system cleaner like Techron. Try to run the car like that, it may take a while but hopefully the contamination will flush through the system. If not, you may need to start replacing fuel system components which can be BIG$$.

·
Registered
95 E300, 91 300TE, 84 190D
788 Posts
You should have seen that coming

What year is the 300?

If you have 11 other cars, then you should have known just replacing ignition components on a car that sat for 5 years wouldn't be enough to revive the car.

Replace the Overvoltage Protection Relay (OVP), especially if you do not know it's history, and check the brushes on the voltage regulator. Weak battery?

Up in the 124 DIY thread sticky is a link to the FSM online. It will be of great help for your 12th vehicle:thumbsup:

At some point, you ought to pull every fuse and relay to clean their contacts. Some components are controlled by vacuum, so check all rubber and lines for a possible leak.

·
Registered
95 E300, 91 300TE, 84 190D
788 Posts
Blowed up real good

And, if you do choose to blow it up, use plenty of gasoline and and pour it all over and in the car. Don't skimp. To be safer, you can start a fire with charcoal lighter fluid, which will then ignite the gasoline to blow it up.:surrender:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna change front and rear crank sensors, fuel strainer and filter. if that doesn't solve it,its goin to scrapyard

Sucks its in mint shape too, sat 5 yrs in a garage

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,471 Posts
I would not mess with the crank sensors until after addressing the fuel issue. Simply changing the strainer and filter might not be enough though. There are often little rust flakes (about 1-2mm) that can develop in the fuel tank after sitting for a long time. They will suck up to the strainer with an increase in fuel demand and block it when stirred up, resulting in a stall. Once the car stalls, the suction on the strainer is gone and the rust flakes drop away. The process then repeats itself each time you start the car and the fuel gets stirred up.

This is exactly what happened to me on a 1987 VW Cabriolet. I ended up draining the tank dry, blowing it out, and then vacuuming out the rust flakes. The car worked fine after that.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
This is exactly what happened to me on a 1987 VW Cabriolet. I ended up draining the tank dry, blowing it out, and then vacuuming out the rust flakes. The car worked fine after that.
Yep, same thing happened to me in my '81 Scirocco when driving from WA to TX. I thought I addressed everything I could in the engine compartment, but nothing fixed the bucking, low power and dying issue until I pulled the sending unit and fished the strainer out. It was nearly completely occluded. Blew it out and the problem was solved indefinitely.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm gonna change front and rear crank sensors, fuel strainer and filter. if that doesn't solve it,its goin to scrapyard

Sucks its in mint shape too, sat 5 yrs in a garage
That kind of seems to be the case with the w124s, 126s and 201s I encounter in the pick-n-pulls. None of the ones I've seen recently have been wrecked, they all show signs of neglect, disuse and a smattering of new parts probably from failed attempts to get them running again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to take the crank sensor out and it broke....... now I'm on the side of the road screwed.

This thing is a piece of shit. Never have I broke down in a vw. Cis is junk. Fuel injection from here on out

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Both the VWs mentioned earlier use nearly the same version of CIS...which btw, is fuel injection

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Interestingly enough, CIS (aka continuous injection system) is actually a type of fuel injection system. I sorry the car hasn't lived up to your expectations; perhaps you need to revisit them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its sooo retarted, the crank sensor broke off. Yeah let's take the oil filter off to get to it. Maybe let's put the filter housing in the way of gettin to the broken part. There is not a clear shot to get to anything on this. Can't even get to the 2 bolts with a straight allen key............

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,953 Posts
Went to take the crank sensor out and it broke....... now I'm on the side of the road screwed.

This thing is a piece of shit. Never have I broke down in a vw. Cis is junk. Fuel injection from here on out
why were you even on the road knowing it had sat for 5 years and all you replaced were normal maintenance items... :tosser1:

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Probably should hand this "heap" over to a more experienced gent

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Must be a Friday car. Only lasted 145k, then, after a FIVE YEAR REST, it did not perform.

Does not sound like this one belongs in your collection.

Volkswagens are more reliable, more fun to drive and much easier to work on.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Judging by your descriptions I assume you you have an M103 engine. someone correct me if I'm wrong but I have never seen an M103 CPS with two hold down bolts. Also it would be difficult to loosen the bolt with a straight allen wrench. the proper tool would be a 1/4 drive allen socket and ratchet drive. With the oil filter removed it's pretty easy. It has been my experience that working on a w124 is very intuitive and well designed. I find that if I am struggling to remove or replace something, I'm probably doing it wrong, or using the wrong tool. I find working on the Mercedes very relaxing and theraputic for stress relief, kind of like golf.
Not to cast dispersion on your preferred marque, but I find my daughters turbo Jetta frustrating and counter-intuitive when I have to work on it, but she likes it. I guess it's all about mindset, and a large collection of tools

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
I work on vws for a living and trust me, they break down all the damn time. Any neglected car is going to suck, calm down and take your time. If you didnt completely drain the tank, check for sediment/rust and replace all filters in the fuel system you are wasting your time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts