Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my blower motor is making a high pitch squeal when on slower settings...

If I am to replace it, has anybody used a more powerful motor or anything else to improve airflow at all?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
I have the ACM motor now and I would suggest to you to stick with the OEM Behr. The ACM is physically larger which means it needs a different mount and routing the wires is a little bit of a pain (there is no wire keeper as with the metal strap on the Behr). Apart from that, I've noticed no difference in CFMs compared to my original Behr.

Better yet, looking back, I'd seriously try to find the proper bushes to repair the original motor.

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
It would likely be a short-term fix...
Agree that a bigger motor is not going to help with airflow... except when the squeaking is a sign of resistance actually slowing down the rotation... they can only spin so fast.

:D

·
Registered
2001 C320 W203 Black on Black. 1997 E320 W210 Silver (RIP). 1995 E320 W124 Pearl Black.
595 Posts
While you at it during replace BM I believe you need to replace the cabin air filter as well, that would improve the flow

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,755 Posts
While you at it during replace BM I believe you need to replace the cabin air filter as well, that would improve the flow
Cabin air filters were an option only item on 94/95 models. Maybe only 95 models.

Robert,

All you could do to increase the fan motor speed would be to dismantle the motor and have the armature re-wound with large gauge wire. That would need to be done at an alternator or electric motor shop and probably wouldn't be worth the cost vs installing a new motor/squirrel cages. It may also put additional strain on the fan speed regulator causing early failure. As suggested... lube the bushings, maybe replace the brushes.

Jim

·
Registered
1987 300E
23 Posts
I have the ACM motor now and I would suggest to you to stick with the OEM Behr. The ACM is physically larger which means it needs a different mount and routing the wires is a little bit of a pain (there is no wire keeper as with the metal strap on the Behr). Apart from that, I've noticed no difference in CFMs compared to my original Behr.

Better yet, looking back, I'd seriously try to find the proper bushes to repair the original motor.
I just got done installing an ACM motor and it sucks. It barely fits and it took me a long time to get the casing to a point where it wouldn't grind the cages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts