Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300E, 1990 300SE, 1982 BMW 528e, 1993 600sl
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes:My mint condition 1990 300se with fewer than 100k caught fire while driving through St. Louis last month. Of course it is a total loss! No idea why the engine fire started.
In order to help with grief I immediately began to search for a comparable replacement or a possible upgrade, I was looking for a sedan when I saw a 93 600sl euro model that is in good to great condition and feel in love.
I immediately made the very impractical and hasty purchase with out doing any research about the platform or the differences between Euro and US models, I am positive that this very uncharacteristic move on my part was an attempt to soothe the pain of my recent loss. Any info regarding obvious pitfalls with the 93 600sl I can expect and the differences between Euro and US would be helpful.
Good bye BIG BLUE. RIP!

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
The cabin on this car is about the size of the trunk on your old car. This is going to be a hell of an adjustment if this is your only car. It's a toy for most of us, it's a good second or third car but I don't know if you will be happy with it as your sole means of transportation. Not to rain on your parade or anything, I just can't imagine replacing a huge 4 seat car with an SL.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The Euro model is really no more trouble than the U.S. model, because that wouldn't be possible, so it's good news, sort of.

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
I hope you can read German........

( Having said that, it's the part numbers you need anyway)

Good luck.

BTW... my So. Cal parts guy just acquired a '94 SL 600 for parts.

PM me if you might need parts you didn't see in the photos before buying it!

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Chris that's what I did when I bought my SL in 2004 selling the 1999 Mercedes E 300 Turbodiesel (W210) and I could have never been happier :D.

Cheers.
I hear ya, but my little Suzuki SUV got totaled and I sold the Volvo, thinking that I'd downsize and give using the SL as my only car a shot. What a [email protected]#$%&* pain in the ass! The two seats thing is getting old and the no cargo space thing even older. I either need to buy a new car to go along with this one or replace this one.

Wonder what the interest would be in a 2001 SL600 w/ 45k miles, bumper to bumper warranty until 110k or year 2014? Car's flawless, even the ADS finally works great. I just need 4 seats and some cargo space.

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
Chris,

Forget your SL even exists, and get yourself some nice 190E or w210 depending on your budget.

190E are soon becoming modern classics.

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
For cryin out loud Chris, you just got this one in great shape! Buy an ML or GL or something and add to it.

·
Sith Lord
11,813 Posts
^^^ You said Edge earlier.

Oh well, snu-snu time.

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
:rolleyes:My mint condition 1990 300se with fewer than 100k caught fire while driving through St. Louis last month. Of course it is a total loss! No idea why the engine fire started.
In order to help with grief I immediately began to search for a comparable replacement or a possible upgrade, I was looking for a sedan when I saw a 93 600sl euro model that is in good to great condition and feel in love.
I immediately made the very impractical and hasty purchase with out doing any research about the platform or the differences between Euro and US models, I am positive that this very uncharacteristic move on my part was an attempt to soothe the pain of my recent loss. Any info regarding obvious pitfalls with the 93 600sl I can expect and the differences between Euro and US would be helpful.
Good bye BIG BLUE. RIP!
In all seriousness, sorry you lost your other car, we do get attached to them. I think the SL is great but I also have others so as Chris mentioned it is a toy for me. There are a lot of threads here on the 600's and SL pitfalls, if you want to call them that, throughout this neck of the woods.... forum. Using the search above will definitely keep you entertained learning about your car.

These are some of the most well built solid cars I have ever been around and I will always have them. This is debatable with some threads but it's all perspective.

Congratulations on your new purchase, I think you will fall for it.

·
Registered
1984 280SE, 2009 SL550
497 Posts
Wow, I call my blue 126 Big Blue as well. I hope it doesn't suffer a similar fate. No idea what happened, eh? Sorry to hear about it. You'll love the SL if you found a nice one. All the best!

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
I hear ya, but my little Suzuki SUV got totaled and I sold the Volvo, thinking that I'd downsize and give using the SL as my only car a shot. What a [email protected]#$%&* pain in the ass! The two seats thing is getting old and the no cargo space thing even older. I either need to buy a new car to go along with this one or replace this one.

Wonder what the interest would be in a 2001 SL600 w/ 45k miles, bumper to bumper warranty until 110k or year 2014? Car's flawless, even the ADS finally works great. I just need 4 seats and some cargo space.
My God! You should buy a surplus school bus. You got a large, plush, leather-covered seat for your ass and a second right beside you for use in the unlikey event that you should acquire a friend. My right-side seat has never been used since I got the car.
And how much cargo space do you need for even a long trip where you might want to carry an extra pair of shorts, socks, & a tooth brush, max?
Some people want it ALL.

·
Sith Lord
11,813 Posts
Let's put things into perspective, shall we.

The big blue whale, is Chad's Expedition.
The Orca, is your defunct w126.
The SL is the little tiny winy dolphin down the list.

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
"Orca" ... The friendly name for the "Killer Whale".....

Actually called the Whale Killer. The 'Orcas' run in packs like wolves, killing / eating other whales.

( And they play with them at Sea World?)

At Sea World, the whale show is timed with their feeding times. They perform for food. They also trick them, by feeding them cubes of ice, to crunch on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts