Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
mbz c320
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering where everyone who didnt get the bixenon projector headlights stock.... got yours ?

I know a few people got theirs from steve but where else can you get them ?
and for those who did get theirs from steve ... how have they been ? i know that steve gets rejected lights that are still usefull ... but i would perfer brand new but then agian ???

2006 i will upgrade to bi xeonons ..i have been looking on ebay but for the past month, no luck on a mint condition pair for about 1000.00 .... please reply

·
Registered
'06 C350 Sport Sedan
20 Posts
Performance Products sells retrofit kits. I don't remember the price on them tho.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
I just got a set from Steve for my W203 and they "appear to be" brand new with the original protective shipping bracing still in place. They were not in the OEM shipping cartons but actually packed better to help them survive overseas shipping. All of the European and Mercedes certification stickers are in place and they would not be there if these parts were rejects. They do not appear to be factory rejects or used but from a legal perspective it is a lot easier to ship these parts as used stuff than to go through the certification process for importing new parts or have Mercedes jump on his sources for helping him sell less expensive OEM parts outside of the MBUSA dealer network.

The lights are E code units which means the beam pattern on the dipped beam is far more controlled than the DOT spec stuff sold here and the lights have the moving shutter to set them for RHD countries as well. I prefer the European lights because the DOT spec lights have a lot more lens flare to disperse light upwards into the eyes of on coming traffic because of a requirement here that requires lighting the unlighted overhead road signs found on many rural roads in North America.

This mandated upwards dispersion of light translates into more glare perceived by the traffic in front of you and less light on the road ahead where I prefer it to be. One additional thing to point out is that this mandated upwards dispersion of light is one of the reasons why there is no legal way to modify an existing halogen fixture to accept HID light sources. If you put a light source that is three times brighter than the halogen light it replaces into the halogen fixture, the lens pattern will make sure the light aimed into the eyes of the traffic ahead of you is now three times brighter than allowed for that light fixture and there is no way that changing the way the light is aimed will change that.

If you check the published specs for "brighter lights" like "Silver Stars" you will see that the extra brightness they claim is more a matter of perception than additional light since the maximum light output from the lamp and its input power are both regulated by the US DOT. The "extra brightness" comes from burning the halogen filiments at a higher temperature which makes the light appear "whiter" but this will also shorten the useful life of the lamp by more than 60% while the actual measurable light output must by regulation remain the same.

When you install the new lights make sure the electrical connector for the leveling sensors is covered to keep dust and moisture out of your new lights if you don't have the sensors on your car.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I'm sure you are happy with them but Steve states that they are brand new with flaws and not DOT approved. I don't pass judgement as to if it's good or bad, just different than what you would get at an MB dealer and so some it's worth, to some it's not. Personally I'm happy with my hid bulbs, just as bright as the bixenons and $250.

BTW, understand that you have to have a dealer willing to set the "xenon present" option on or they won't work no matter who you buy them from. Some people have a problem with this, I didn't.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,288 Posts
Buellwinkle said:
<....> Personally I'm happy with my hid bulbs, just as bright as the bixenons and $250. <.....>
Does this mean you have HID system (ballasts) and that you purchased an HID rebased kit? I'm trying to get a picture in my head what you mean when you say "HID bulbs". tnx

·
Registered
362 Posts
phrankzMBZ said:
i know that steve gets rejected lights that are still usefull ... but i would perfer brand new but then agian ???
The last couple of sets we purchased (of which we still have some in stock), were all new. No rejects.

greetingz,

BigSis

·
Registered
mbz c320
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow .. thanks for all the feeback guys & gals .....

Another question ....

to change out the fog lights do you have to remove the whole front bumper ?
i hear since i do already have HID's (xenon's) .... i dont have to remove the whole front bumper to change the headlights .... and do you know how much in labor time that takes ? for both the fog lights and headlight switch ?

im thinking i should print out a tutorial if there is one to switch them out & just give it to the people at the shop to make it quicker ?? what do you think about that ? because i know where im at .... no one has probably switched them out before.

·
Registered
mbz c320
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
& for anyone who has bought lights from steve ... did you have to pay import taxes ? & how da heck does import taxes work ? as far as getting charged for it when you already made your usd payment ? please reply thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
eggh, i saw it somewhere on some forum, it might've been mbklasse...i mean i can't tell you anymore than what i have experienced with him. i mean i ordered the lights and i got them...for 3 or 4hundred dollars cheaper... Works for me!

·
Registered
mbz c320
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tozfeekum said:
eggh, i saw it somewhere on some forum, it might've been mbklasse...i mean i can't tell you anymore than what i have experienced with him. i mean i ordered the lights and i got them...for 3 or 4hundred dollars cheaper... Works for me!
im just asking because there is such thing as fraud in the internet world and if some random person gave you an email address talking about i got mine for 800 dollars (cheaper than any where else) wouldnt you be suspicious ? or want to know more information ? i mean you didnt even ask him where hes from ? or how will you know that the transaction will be legit ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
well, this is how my transaction worked. I sent him an e-mail he sent back saying that he has them in stock and to call his warehouse to order them, i ordered the lights and after i got them i got a statement from hella. this is legit enough for me :).

·
Registered
mbz c320
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tozfeekum said:
well, this is how my transaction worked. I sent him an e-mail he sent back saying that he has them in stock and to call his warehouse to order them, i ordered the lights and after i got them i got a statement from hella. this is legit enough for me :).
I understand that your transaction went smooth ...but im just kinda iffy with that amount of money.... but thanks. I'll give him a shout.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts