Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
Discussion Starter #1
Hi members,
Happy Holidays. :)

Look for feedback / assistance on this issue on the 02 ML500 W163 with Bi-Xenons.
All fuses good.

1) PS low beam does not activate when started. Nor does it activate when the stalk is turned on. (xenon bulb swapped to test and ok)
2) PS high beam works when activated.

3) DS low beam is good and activates.
4) DS high beam does not come on when activated. (Bulb swapped and checked)

5) swapped ignitors (black box) for the xenon low beams and both ignitors are functional.

6) ballasts.... ??

Swapped ballasts and confused...
Does the ballast control BOTH the bi-xenon bulb and the high beam bulb?

With the PS ballast swapped over to the DS, the DS low beam was now out (as anticipated), however the DS high beam could not be activated at the stalk, but it works fine on the PS assembly. ??

Swapping the DS ballast onto the PS assembly, the low beam xenon works when activated (as anticipated), AND the PS high beam still does not work, when activated.

Before I decide to pickup replacement ballasts, if required, what else should I troubleshoot.

Cheers

Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold馃槩 2013 ML500,馃榿 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Hi members,
Happy Holidays. :)

Look for feedback / assistance on this issue on the 02 ML500 W163 with Bi-Xenons.
All fuses good.

1) PS low beam does not activate when started. Nor does it activate when the stalk is turned on. (xenon bulb swapped to test and ok)
2) PS high beam works when activated.

3) DS low beam is good and activates.
4) DS high beam does not come on when activated. (Bulb swapped and checked)

5) swapped ignitors (black box) for the xenon low beams and both ignitors are functional.

6) ballasts.... ??

Swapped ballasts and confused...
Does the ballast control BOTH the bi-xenon bulb and the high beam bulb?

With the PS ballast swapped over to the DS, the DS low beam was now out (as anticipated), however the DS high beam could not be activated at the stalk, but it works fine on the PS assembly. ??

Swapping the DS ballast onto the PS assembly, the low beam xenon works when activated (as anticipated), AND the PS high beam still does not work, when activated.

Before I decide to pickup replacement ballasts, if required, what else should I troubleshoot.

Cheers
Merry Christmas
Pull the plug on the headlight assembly and look into the plug end. Check and make sure none of the connections look to of been hot. Mainly the tan/ earth wire. Mine got hot and made a shitty connection.

Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
Discussion Starter #3
Merry Christmas
Pull the plug on the headlight assembly and look into the plug end. Check and make sure none of the connections look to of been hot. Mainly the tan/ earth wire. Mine got hot and made a shitty connection.
Plugs and wiring are all good.

Forgot to include this in the diagnostics:
swapped complete PS headlight assembly over to the DS. Low bi-xenon beams work fine.
No joy with the high beam bulb.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Plugs and wiring are all good.

Forgot to include this in the diagnostics:
swapped complete PS headlight assembly over to the DS. Low bi-xenon beams work fine.
No joy with the high beam bulb.
High beam bulb is suppressed by relay inside headlight when HID beam is on.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
ok Members,

Finally got some time today to carry on with this headlight issue that has me stumped.

To recap, bi-xenon headlamps - canadian suv with DRLs
Passenger side headlamp is the issue.
When the suv is started, both headlights should activate. PS does not.
Headlight stalk is not on.
To test a few things - swapped bulbs, swapped head lamp assembly, swapped ballasts & igniter. Still the same issue.
To be safe, decided to install on the PS, a known working ballast and igniter .

Once this was done, after starting the suv, when both headlights should activate, after running for a few minutes, the DS headlight turns itself off. A minute of so later (not exact time), both headlights activate ON (presumably due to DRLs). Both working!
I check all stalk functions and they all work fine.

I have not gone into the scanner functions yet (Too lazy as it was to nice a day to sit inside the suv staring at the scanner) Not even sure yet if there is anything to look for.

This issue ONLY occurs when the suv is started up.

Your comments please on this matter.
Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Are you reading power at the input to the Ballast, if not AAM issue?
You check for good ground?
All is good for power. Ground is solid.

I have another day of sunshine today.
Swapped the entire assemblies, DS to PS and PS to DS.
Cranked it up and BOTH xenon headlights activated. Checked all functions at the stalk twice. Everything is working with the headlight assembly swapped.

Goto swap them back and get the same issue. PS headlight out.
:(

Am I missing something here? (Brain fart??)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
Well, I'm stumped on this PS headlight outage.

The following performed on the PS headlamp assembly:
1) swapped in new ballast,
2) swapped in new igniter,
3) swapped new xenon bulb,
4) swapped PS to DS headlamp assembly and vise versa. Started up the suv. BOTH headlamps activate (working at startup) All other stalk functions work. This confirms wiring harness is good. Checked voltages for both DS & PS headlamp harness- all good.
5) Clean harness plugs and headlamp connector with electrical contact cleaner, twice and check pins. No rust, nothing - clean as a whistle. Then I'm thinking maybe the PS harness connector to the headlamp, when the connected,for whatever reason, isnt connecting/ seating properly (male to female connection). DS harness to the PS Headlamp connector is good and lights up. see (4) above.

6) Putting the headlamps back where they belong, the PS xenon isnt activating. However, when the high bean is activated at the stalk, the PS high beam HID comes on and the DS xenon high beam comes on - I realize this is a function of the system. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Logic here tells me the PS xenon should work.....
Am I asleep at the wheel here?
:rolleyes:

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
I know as part of human nature we want to know why, but if they work swapped why not just swap them. Unless you are swapping lens too?

Do you have the wiring diagram? If not I will post it. the only thing I see different right to left is the left light/s have the fog lights wired in to them. BUT and a big BUT, that is a brown or tan wire so they share only a ground.

As to the harness the passenger harness works swapped which is weird.

What happens when you use the flash function?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I know as part of human nature we want to know why, but if they work swapped why not just swap them. Unless you are swapping lens too?

Do you have the wiring diagram? If not I will post it. the only thing I see different right to left is the left light/s have the fog lights wired in to them. BUT and a big BUT, that is a brown or tan wire so they share only a ground.

As to the harness the passenger harness works swapped which is weird.

What happens when you use the flash function?
Wallyo,
Please post the wiring diagram. Cheers.

The entire headlamp assembly was moved/swapped L2R and R2L - both xenon lamps activate at start up and work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts