Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i located some low/high hid kits, but have been told by the retailers that the 2 level kits have a low reliability factor.....as opposed to the single beam hid kits.

how true is this?

i'm basically interested in installing them in my main (euro) headlights, and would like the low/high facility.

[?]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
You can use the height adjuster on your euro lights w/ a sinlge xenon set up to give the high/low beam function.

Jonathan

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
I believe most vehicules that have HID only have it for the low beams. X5, 300M

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Most of the newer (luxury) vehicles have dual xenon as an option, but they are seperate bulbs and use projectors. I think what would be nice is to run the adjustable low beam with the standard reflectors, and then mount a projector based high beam in the corner of the headlight housing, or in the foglight housing.

I just use the vacuum adjust for xenons with the low-beam. I get flashed by oncoming traffic if it set at the highest, and no one flashes when it's at the lowest, so i guess it works!

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Bixenon hid kits are TRASH. Please do not waste your money, because I assure you, that you will regret it later, when they stop functioning properly. In my honest opinion all aftermarket hid kits are trash, unless they use OE ballasts and bulbs. But don't take my word for it, try them and see!! They work for a few months and when the go out, the sellers are nowhere to be found. Honestly, I don't believe high beams are neccessary when you have hids! There is like a night and day difference between halogen lighting and xenon lighting. And this comes from a person who has 35% tint on my ENTIRE front windshield. I have retroed two differenet sets of bixenon projectors into my euros, and dont ever use the high beams. I am planning an upgrade fo the summer, and will be using single xenon projectors.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JR_Rider - 4/5/2005 7:02 PM

Bixenon hid kits are TRASH. Please do not waste your money, because I assure you, that you will regret it later, when they stop functioning properly. In my honest opinion all aftermarket hid kits are trash, unless they use OE ballasts and bulbs. But don't take my word for it, try them and see!! They work for a few months and when the go out, the sellers are nowhere to be found. Honestly, I don't believe high beams are neccessary when you have hids! There is like a night and day difference between halogen lighting and xenon lighting. And this comes from a person who has 35% tint on my ENTIRE front windshield. I have retroed two differenet sets of bixenon projectors into my euros, and dont ever use the high beams. I am planning an upgrade fo the summer, and will be using single xenon projectors.
could you give some photos or other details of what u've done...i'm interested in the xenon projectors and how you've installed them. also, where can you buy those?
thanks.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
But of course!! Here is a link to my cardomain page. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/376397/3
I have made a few changes to the setup since then, but haven't updated the information on the page yet. Switched from the Hella Generation 4 ballasts to Matsushita ballasts, with integrated igniters, and a week later switched over to Hella Generation 3 ballasts. This setup is not permanent though, actually, it will be getting replaced very soon. BENZ retrofit part III. Coming Summer 2005!! Look for custom made front lenses (no more textured glass lenses) and the brightest single xenon projectors on the market. [:D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts