Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got some white stuff on my oil cap and even though I replaced my radiator and I did..., I don't even remember how my flushes to the cooling system it won't get clean and I get water droplets from the tailpipe in the mornings when I check my oil dipstick the first drops seem to trickle down fast as if I had watered down oil.

The car doesn't seem to have any drive-ability issues but I fear my oil and coolant are intermixing. So my only recourse financially is a bottle of head gasket sealant.

My questions are:

1. Anyone successfully use head gasket sealant on a Mercedes and have it work?

2. Which sealant would be good for a Mercedes?

Since I can't afford to do a Head Job please don't tell me to do one. I know a new gasket would be the right way but I need the right now way. Believe me if I could afford it I would do it.

Thank you for your time

-Sir Spad Waller III

·
Registered
Current 2008 320ML CDI. Previous 1998 E320, 2007 E320 Bluetec
2,517 Posts
Sir Spad,

I haven't followed your current difficulties so some of this may be redundant.

Couple of thoughts:
Water from the tailpipe isn't necessarily a sign of trouble if the car isn't warmed up. If the exhaust smells 'sweet' then that is a sign of anti-freeze being burned.

Foam on the oil cap can be a sign that the car is being driven for short periods and doesn't get fully warmed.

Are you using coolant? Does the oil level increase over time? Is there oil in the coolant?

While your location shows California, are you at altitude or in a valley. North or South.

I don't have any recommendation on a sealer. When I was involved in racing we have used a sealer, but that was to finish an event and then the engine was torn down so no help for long term cures.

Skippy

·
Registered
1999 E300 Turbodiesel
463 Posts
spadwaller, best way to find out if you have coolant in oil is by doing an oil analysis. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php charges $25/analysis and the kit is free. if you mail your oil sample on monday, by the end of the week you will know the results.
This is very sound advice-----Why drive off a cliff untill you know the distance to the bottom!!

I'd get the oil checked before I dump some block repair gunk in my engine!!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Ditto to Blackstone. I've had them analyze motor oil all of my cars and ATF on the Mercedes. It has always been a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ditto to Blackstone. I've had them analyze motor oil all of my cars and ATF on the Mercedes. It has always been a pleasant experience.
What do their results tell you exactly? Right now I'm running water for coolant no point in wasting money on radiator fluid. I believe that the water and the oil are seeping into one another but i cant be 100% certain.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
What do their results tell you exactly? Right now I'm running water for coolant no point in wasting money on radiator fluid. I believe that the water and the oil are seeping into one another but i cant be 100% certain.
Want to be certain? Rent a pressure tester (or take it to a garage). They can hold pressure on the system and see if it increases while the engine is running. A properly-equipped shop can also test the cooling system for the presence of exhaust, which is another tell-tale sign.

From what you've described, you have heavy condensation in the crankcase. If you really had water incursion, your oil would be milky.

When you drive the car, how far do you drive it before it's turned off? How long do you let it warm up before you drive off? Short trips will condense moisture in your crankcase all the time...always has, always will.

Until you know FOR CERTAIN, I wouldn't be adding anything to the coolant. Speaking of which, just keep running it with water and you'll be replacing the engine anyway. Get the water out, flush it, drain it at the block too, and then refill with distilled water and MB coolant or Zerex G05 in a 50:50 solution.

I've thought back to all of the posts you've made since coming on board, and really, please just take NORMAL care of the car. Seems you're all over the map with it. Running water won't solve anything. You have no corrosive protection and no lubricants in it. The only thing that is certain when it comes to vehicles: Treat it like crap and crap it will become.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts