Registered
2001 SL600, 1999 SL600, 1999 Porsche 911, 1999 SVC Supercharged Range Rover
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Hi Mfletch I'm very sorry to hear what happened to you (I read your post on the other forum) and honestly I'm stunned about the dealer behaviour. If I were you I would hire a lawyer and sue the dealer and write to all the car magazines you know telling them your experience. It usually moves every dealer to think twice before telling you it's not their problem.
If you know a good lawyer at least ask his opinion and see what he thinks, maybe you can have some good hints.

Hope your back is better too.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2000 SL500 Mineral Green
222 Posts
There is a product offered by drcolorchip.com which is supposed to do a great job of filling in paint chips. It is advertised in the BMW and MBCA club mags. Might be worth a try at far less cost than 5k. There before/after pix on their web site.

Herb

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,887 Posts
I can empathise with Mfletch and the paint dilemma.
However certain things spring to mind.

Caveat emptor. In this instance Mfletch has admitted he did not inspect the vehicle properly before buying.

Mfletch stated,

I made him an offer over the phone dependant on the car being in the condition that he described. He called me back a couple hours later and accepted my offer.
Usually when a company accepts an offer lower than the vehicle was originally priced at, the difference in price can be openly or tacitly implied to cover any unfortold defects.

It would be interesting to know what the original asking price was and the accepted offer price.

If this price difference covers the cost of of a respray then Mfletch has not really lost out on the deal.

Lastly $5000 seems an awful lot of money to respray just the affected areas, or is this for a complete respray of the vehicle?

·
Registered
2001 SL600, 1999 SL600, 1999 Porsche 911, 1999 SVC Supercharged Range Rover
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
msbarsi, thank you for the kind words and well wishes regarding my back. Herb, I have seen that product advertised, I'll check into it. I don't know if it is designed to work on hundreds of chips. Thanks for the advice.
Redliner, I did not purchase this vehicle over the telephone. I have purchased other vehicles over the phone and been very happy. The asking price on the car was $37,000 (I think) and I offered $35,000 out the door. I specifically asked about the condition of the paint because I had looked at one locally for $10,000 less that had scratches and previous paint work. I wanted a car with no paint or body issues because we plan on keeping it forever (it is my wife's dream car). The only part of the car that won't need repainting is the doors. I am attaching the pictures that accompanied the ad for the car. I could not figure out how I missed all the damage until Eric on Rennlist told me about colored wax being used to hide such damage.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,887 Posts
The car certainly looks very nice in the pictures.

I suppose there is the possibility that the previous owner had this masking job done prior to the Mercedes dealer selling it on to you

If you have the service records you could find the last owner and ask how this paint damage occurred and whether the Mercedes dealer was made aware of the condition.
If the previous owner states that the dealer was made aware then you may have a case against the dealership.

·
Administrator
8,887 Posts
Not that it is any consolation Mfletch but From those photos and your description of the paint damage, I would guess that the car was parked at the time and the damage caused by objects falling from above e.g. if the car was parked adjacent to a building site or It could have possibly been caused by hailstones.

I still think that for the price of a phone call or a sending a letter that you should endeavour to contact the previous owner to find out more about this problem.

Whilst on the topic of restoring paintwork this guy seems to be a master :bowdown:

VXRonline | AstraVXR | CorsaVXR | MerivaVXR | MonaroVXR | VXR8 | VectraVXR | VXR220 | ZafiraVXR | :: View topic - BUGATTI VEYRON VS ZYMOL ROYALE (56K XXX WARNING)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts