Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just cracked open a new set of ATE-branded rear rotors and noticed that unlike the fronts (which are still made in Europe), these were sub-contracted out to the PRC and are missing the hole for the locating pin on the rear hub.

:mad:

It seems that even ATE (like Bosch) is now beginning to subscribe to the "mehr es bessern" principle for some of their products!

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
You mean the countersunk hole for the hex-wrench bolt?

JEZUZ H Chrystal!

I consider that bolt a SAFETY issue... not a 'convenience'.

I hope I am misunderstanding you... :eek:

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, there is the countersunk hole but there's also supposed to be another hole for the locating pin on the hub. That hole is missing.

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
No, there is the countersunk hole but there's also supposed to be another hole for the locating pin on the hub. That hole is missing.
So... its even worse, and the rotor wont fit flush on the hub as it should!

Wow... I hope that somebody just scewed the pooch instead of intentionally doing that!
:eek:

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
917 Posts
Just cracked open a new set of ATE-branded rear rotors and noticed that unlike the fronts (which are still made in Europe), these were sub-contracted out to the PRC and are missing the hole for the locating pin on the rear hub.

:mad:

It seems that even ATE (like Bosch) is now beginning to subscribe to the "mehr es bessern" principle for some of their products!
What you say interests me. I bought a set of 4 ATE rotors off a French (I'm in France) supplier called Oscaro. I bought ATE because I've used them over the years on a number of MBs.

After they were fitted (about 2008, I think) I was aware of a squeak from the left rear. It's been there over the intervening period and I thought nothing of it. Recently, the rear pads and handbrake components were replaced and the squeak got worse. Also, a vibration set in. We complained to the garage that fitted them and all they could say was that it must be the rear rotor. My son drove it on holiday and reported that at over 120 kph it was vibrating badly.

Anyway, we ordered 2 new rear rotors from MB, they were fitted and the car is now smoother and quieter than it's been for ages.

I wonder?

RayH

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
Yep, balancing brake disks and drums has been an issue before and can be why it's hard to get a decent wheel balance.

For rotors and things just buy MB-Genuine, they're cheap from the Dealer!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts