Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SL
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a way to somehow get a stable cup holder in my car. Driving with a cup coffee or soda in my lap isn't a good alternative. Any suggestions? I have the optional armrest, that is the console, but also have the original console that I can put back in the car. Just need an idea on how to get a stable way to hold a soda or coffee so I don't have a mess in my car.

·
Registered
2017 Ram EcoDiesel, 2014 GLK 350, 2013 BMW R1200GS KC
1,154 Posts
Looking for a way to somehow get a stable cup holder in my car. Driving with a cup coffee or soda in my lap isn't a good alternative. Any suggestions? I have the optional armrest, that is the console, but also have the original console that I can put back in the car. Just need an idea on how to get a stable way to hold a soda or coffee so I don't have a mess in my car.
Which arm rest are you talking about? Picture would be nice.

Here is a link to a cup holder, don't know how sturdy it is though.

Best Mercedes 560SEL 560SEC 300E 300CE 560SL 560SLC Cup Holder on eBay | eBay

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL, 1993 400 SEL, 1986 420 SEL, 1977 450 SL, 1984 300D, 1981 380 SL, 1983 500 SL
606 Posts
Here is my "Beverage Holder"...

And it works great! DSC01705.jpg

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,143 Posts
I have the optional armrest, that is the console, but also have the original console that I can put back in the car.
You need to post a picture. From the description your arm rest/console is an aftermarket item not a 107 option. I think the folding arm rest was standard equipment on the '85.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
My beverage holder is a pair of boots I keep in the car. VashionJohnson has been making some pretty nice veneered cup holders that fit in the console in between the seats... not sure if he's made any to fit the 107, but he'd probably do it if you asked.

·
Registered
1984 380sl
80 Posts
The holder shown above is from Bell automotive and is $6.49 if you can fine it at a retailer or maybe order from Bell direct. They are on the internet under "Bell Drink Holders".

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
W T F....Let's face it folks...a 107 was never intended to be used as a mobile bar. Get a drink before you start the journey, and take time to stop and get a periodic drink along the route.

I don't care what kind of cup holder you have in a vehicle....at some point in time it's going to be bombs away - splattering everything in sight and soaking up the carpet with resulting stains. They should advertize used cars as non-drinker just like they do non-smoker for resale purposes. You want to keep a car looking like new, leave the drink at home. Just saying.

My wife attempted to enter the 560SL on a tip with that big jug of hers...and I'm not talking about the mammary glands.....that big half gallon sized thing with the plastic straw that looks like a clear plastic radiator hose.

Sorry honey, but it ain't happenin...either leave the jug, or I'm leaving your ass here standing in the driveway. Bring one of the grandkids sealed sippy cups, but that big catastrophe waiting to happen jug isn't coming along for the ride.

Nothing like an afternoon drive by myself.

BTW...German engineers knew that drinking and driving was dangerous........and those cupholder circles in the glovebox lid...I'm sure they were strictly for comedy purposes.....cause there isn't a cup short enough to fit on it.....imagine the hilarity that ensues when that glovebox drink catapults into the glovebox and into the fuses and breaker boxes behind it.

Here is my suggestion: http://www.burtfarms.com/cupholder.jpg

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,642 Posts
I haven't seen a commercial cup holder that I like for the SL. I have seen a DIY solution that was ok.

Take a dense car wash type sponge, and carve out (electric carving knife does well) a couple holes sized for the travel cups you use. FIt to your console, and viola- there you go. Remove when not in use.

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
A sponge.....now that's an idea...and it will sop up the spillage....and no doubt stay attached to the cup if if you cut it for a 32 oz and decide on what we call a 64 oz Big Gulp down here, blocking your view of the highway and resulting in an inadvertant test of your air bag system when you have a head on or kiss a telephone pole.

·
Premium Member
Present Stable = '88 560SL ,'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, '06 LR3 HSE, and '17 Newmar Essex
1,318 Posts
simple, worry-free, no mods....wedged between seat adjuster pull handles and front of lower seat pads. no mess, secure (all dependent on the container/contents but works great with H2O bottles)
Water Bottle Storage.jpg

Another option if you're so inclined (or stupid) could be;
Redneck Version.jpg

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
^^
Brings to mind one of modern life's mysteries: why do folks feel the need to walk around carrying water bottles in urban areas? And instead of taking a drink, they hydrate. Meanwhile the plastic empties are a blight on the environment.
The joke is that most of that bottled water comes from municipal taps, maybe further filtered, maybe not.

·
Premium Member
Present Stable = '88 560SL ,'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, '06 LR3 HSE, and '17 Newmar Essex
1,318 Posts
Same could be said for texting - why do so many people today use texting vs. speaking to one another? What are we as a population unlearning and what's next? Virtual families and friends. A lonely planet lies ahead.

·
Registered
1985 380SL
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bell Drink Holder

Have one of those. I was trying to find one just a little more eye pleasing. I know. I know. For those of you who don't want to drink in the car. I'm in southern Arizona and it gets really hot in the summer and I tend to get over heated easily. I carry water and other drinks and try to drink to keep hydration levels adequate. I don't carry a huge "bucket of drink" but do carry a drink.
Thanks for the suggestions. I do think we have become attached to our drinks haven't we?

·
Registered
Now: 14 E350 Coupe; 86 560SL Then: 73 280SEL 4.5; 80 300SD; 82 300SD; 98 E350; 08 GL320; 11 E350
1,053 Posts
Have one of those. I was trying to find one just a little more eye pleasing. I know. I know. For those of you who don't want to drink in the car. I'm in southern Arizona and it gets really hot in the summer and I tend to get over heated easily. I carry water and other drinks and try to drink to keep hydration levels adequate. I don't carry a huge "bucket of drink" but do carry a drink.
Thanks for the suggestions. I do think we have become attached to our drinks haven't we?
I'm quite satisfied with my dual drink holder which I found a couple of years ago forelorn in the back reaches of the local MB dealer's parts room. This aftermarket product which many dealers stocked years ago is no longer in production but I have seen a couple on eBay in the past.

My photo of the holder in the closed position is not the best shot view and I don't have one readily available in the open positon. I attached the holder to plexiglass cut to snugly fit on top of the center console carpet. It is simple to lift and remove but has never moved when holding drinks - no spilled large Sonic drinks for me! This holder is not liked by all, but it serves me well and esthetically is not particularly conspicuous.

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
My wife attempted to enter the 560SL on a tip with that big jug of hers...and I'm not talking about the mammary glands.....that big half gallon sized thing with the plastic straw that looks like a clear plastic radiator hose.

Sorry honey, but it ain't happenin...either leave the jug, or I'm leaving your ass here standing in the driveway. Bring one of the grandkids sealed sippy cups, but that big catastrophe waiting to happen jug isn't coming along for the ride.

Nothing like an afternoon drive by myself.

Here is my suggestion: http://www.burtfarms.com/cupholder.jpg
I love this guy ! :D

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,143 Posts
I'm quite satisfied with my dual drink holder which I found a couple of years ago forelorn in the back reaches of the local MB dealer's parts room. This aftermarket product which many dealers stocked years ago is no longer in production but I have seen a couple on eBay in the past.

My photo of the holder in the closed position is not the best shot view and I don't have one readily available in the open positon. I attached the holder to plexiglass cut to snugly fit on top of the center console carpet. It is simple to lift and remove but has never moved when holding drinks - no spilled large Sonic drinks for me! This holder is not liked by all, but it serves me well and esthetically is not particularly conspicuous.

Cheers,
Nice plug.:D:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts