Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people!. There's been a long time since I'm wanting to buy a w124, and since I am a car seller, just yesterday I sold a w202 and they gave me in exchange a very nice w124. I'm gonna check that baby to see if I want to keep it for me or just resell it.

The baby is a 1993 w124 300D 2.5 Turbo (diesel). This I don't know if it's possible. I though that a 1993 would already been called E300 instead. I has dual airbags, electric seats with memory functions, air conditioning, everything ok and running and 146.000 miles (don't remember the exact quantity, just rounding a bit on the last 3 digits here). Checking on VIN that seems correct, no odometer rollback.

My main questions are quite a few... I already read that document on "what to check" if buying a w124...

My main concerns are... I read somewhere that the last models of these cars already had wiring harness problems (similar to pre 1998 w202), and they already have MAF sensors and that overall quality wasn't up to the earlier models.. I would prefer avoiding this issues and go with a more conventional electronics-free engine.

So wich year is the best year for a 2.5 TD? (i don't want petrols here :p) and what equipment should I expect? Because the one I received yesterday seems to be fully equiped. The drivers seat althogh seems to be a bit loose, like if a mammoth drived it for the last few years.. wonder if I can get that fixed.

And another question, the 3.0 turbodiesels had head problems that were later fixed by the dealer incluiding a new exhaust system. How did this worked? I mean, every single 300D 3.0 TD that came out of factory had this problem or can I buy one of the latest years and be sure that it hadn't had that problem? Because in my country the dealer su*** so bad I don't think they ever changed the heads on any 300D over here... if there is a flawless year (when comes to head) i'll heavily consider buying a 3.0 TD instead..

I will really appreciate your help =] or any other tip instead!

Thanks in advance guys =D

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
In my opinion, the '90 - '93 250D (300D 2.5 turbo here in the US) was probably the best overall compromise between performance, economy and bulletproof durability of any diesel passenger car Mercedes ever produced. A '93 shouldn't be prone to the wiring harness issues found in the later cars, or the head cracking problems in the earlier 6 cylinders. I've heard the transmissions and AC evaporators can be weak spots. Personally, if it checks out during your inspection, I'd keep it as a daily driver, as they can routinely return over 30 mpg.

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
The 94, 95 E300Ds were awesome. I am a former owner of the 1995 E300D and have nothing but good things to say. There was also a 93 300D in the family at this time. Although the E300D is prone to get a head gasket problem, which can be fixed properly for less than a $1000, I believe these later 94, 95 E300Ds were superior both in the the ride quality as well as acceleration. To me the normally aspirated 6 Cylinder E300D was faster and quieter then the 93 turbo diesel. The 94, 95 also look slightly different but very slightly but enough to make them look better IMO. If I was going to purchase one, I would purchase the E300D again over the 93. If you can find a 94,95 with the wiring harness issue and head gasket issue already resolved and documented, then you can't buy a better W124 IMO. Make sure the AC works otherwise walk away quick! This actually applies to all models. The 04,95 IMO are quieter, smoother, faster, and much more refined with a better fuel economy. The acceleration is better and the feel is much superior IMO.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I don't have much to say contrary to CR's assessment, other than his assertion that an OM606 engined car handles any different than an earlier model; not sure what would improve those characteristics other than perception and/or fewer miles since they're slightly newer. The only real downside to the NA OM606 vs the OM602 turbo would introduce itself if one were to drive at elevations significantly above sea level. The turbo is far superior in that it won't lose any power while the NA engine will.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok people! thanks so far!

Another question I have is about MPG, is there much difference between the 2.5 TD and the 3.0 TD engine? City and highway. Because if there isn't much of a difference, or none at all (wich happens when an engine is too small for a heavy vehicle that it ends up sucking too much fuel as to equal its bigger brother) I'll sell this and go with a 3.0 TD and check the heads. They don't have any problems unless overheated right?

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
Ok people! thanks so far!

Another question I have is about MPG, is there much difference between the 2.5 TD and the 3.0 TD engine? City and highway. Because if there isn't much of a difference, or none at all (wich happens when an engine is too small for a heavy vehicle that it ends up sucking too much fuel as to equal its bigger brother) I'll sell this and go with a 3.0 TD and check the heads. They don't have any problems unless overheated right?
Not necessarily. Heads will go in pretty much any car that is overheated. The head gasket in the 94-95 E300D failed/fails due to a poor head gasket design. However, if you get it overhead the head will warp. If the head gasket has been replaced with the updated one, then the head will be pretty much bullet proof. Its the $20 gasket that is the problem. Since you are in car sales, I am sure you can sell that 2.5 easily for about the same as the cost of a great E300D. If it were me, this is what I would do. In your case, if it doesn't matter, then go through it with a fine toothed comb and if everything checks out then just keep it. Pretty much all MB Diesels are great EXCEPT the 3.5 in the S class, both in the W126 as well as W140. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info CR =D

As I plan to buy this car (or keep the one I already have) for daily 100miles trip and to keep it (hopefully) for many years, that's why I'm doing a good research. And that's why I want a diesel, good MPG but turbo is a must for the highway.

What about electrical problems? The wiring harness in w202 was a pain in the a** up to 1998, where it was finally solved by MB. Does the ~1987 have this electrical problems or does the newest ones (post 1993) do? I remember I read something about this but don't quite recall the details...

Thanks again to everyone! I am really taking into account your knowledge on these cars =]

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
Thanks for the info CR =D

As I plan to buy this car (or keep the one I already have) for daily 100miles trip and to keep it (hopefully) for many years, that's why I'm doing a good research. And that's why I want a diesel, good MPG but turbo is a must for the highway.

What about electrical problems? The wiring harness in w202 was a pain in the a** up to 1998, where it was finally solved by MB. Does the ~1987 have this electrical problems or does the newest ones (post 1993) do? I remember I read something about this but don't quite recall the details...

Thanks again to everyone! I am really taking into account your knowledge on these cars =]
With a 94-95 E300D, You DEFINITELY do NOT need a turbo. Much nicer engine than the 2.5 IMO and much faster acceleration. Feels almost like driving a gas car. Other questions I do not know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I am definitively going for an E300D, you have convinced me. These cars doesn't have the heads problems right? Or do I have to check the gaskets too? And, appart from the name badge (E300D vs 300D) and the engine, what else change on these models? (post 1993)

Thanks a lot!

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
The OM606 is a great engine, and in many ways its a real advance over the earlier engines...except they are known to get their glowplugs carboned up and stuck in the head, which can be a bear to remove. Sometimes this means the head has to come off. All that said, I'm installing a later turbo version of this engine in my car, so obviously I like them.

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
The OM606 is a great engine, and in many ways its a real advance over the earlier engines...except they are known to get their glowplugs carboned up and stuck in the head, which can be a bear to remove. Sometimes this means the head has to come off. All that said, I'm installing a later turbo version of this engine in my car, so obviously I like them.
What year engine and what are you installing it in?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best of luck Zeitgeist! seems like a great working project =]

BTW, does anyone knows what are the differences between an E300D and a 300D excluding the name and the engine? I mean, the things that changed on the restyling?

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I believe the hood, headlights and engine wiring harnesses changed with the '94 and '95 models.

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
I believe the hood, headlights and engine wiring harnesses changed with the '94 and '95 models.
94-95s are also quieter. I don't know if it has to do with a much more refined engine or whether the 94-95s had more sound proofing. To me driving both of them, they did feel like different beasts. The 94-95 were more of a pleasure. But this is just my opinion.

Anyone contemplating on buying one should test drive both the 93 and pre93 cars as well as the 94-95.

The 93 models and their predecessors by no means are inferior. Some people prefer the turbo even though the non turbo later model is faster IMO. These are just my opinions so test drive both and buy the one that you will like. If you just like the hood, grill and styling of the 95 then it is extremely easy to change those on the 93 to make it look like a 95.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much! I made my decission, so I'm finally going with a w124 1995 E300D. I am already spotting several candidates. I also took a look to a w202 2.5 Turbodiesel, these have 150HP and are pretty nice cars too, but I think the w124 being bigger is a more comfortable car in wich to take trips. So basically I discarded the w202. As I said, this won't be a daily car, but more of a frequent 100mile trips.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts