Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have some aluminum wheels which were polished by dealership to mirror image ( chrome like ) . i have just bought some eagle one aluminum wash and cleaner. but it says just spray and wash off. i did it and the barke dust/grime was still mainly on there!! well i also don't have a very powerful hose. so later on tonight or something im going to buy a high power nozzle from home depot or something. in the directions it asks me to "agitate with a soft brush or sponge" where can i get either of good quality? or what cleaner should i use? the guy at kragen said this was the best stuff.... err .. ok. well thanks in advance. ill post pics of aftershots :D

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,095 Posts
Check out these 2 sites.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

http://www.vemmabuilder.com/116951505

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you . finally a response... i was thinking everybody just liked to cake on brake dust... does anybody know how to remove a tire ( like at home ) so that i can clean the back and insides easier?

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just looked at those sites... what do they have to do with wheel cleaning.. the first looks to deal with paint and the second..is trying to sell me something

·
Registered
CLK 230K Conv
63 Posts
Auto Glym, spray and rub with the Auto Glym brush wash off wheels look like new. Not very nice stuff to breath in though. Not sure if sold in US but its fantastic http://www.autoglym.co.uk/index2.html

·
Registered
327 Posts
lnkprksoldier - 3/22/2005 8:53 PM

i just looked at those sites... what do they have to do with wheel cleaning.. the first looks to deal with paint and the second..is trying to sell me something
[8D] You are not going to find a better site than Autopia regarding detailing. No, it is not only for paint; you name it and they will discuss it. There is nothing out there today that will let you spray it on and wash it off. You are going to have to get your lilly white hands a little dirty and scub the brake dust off. Don't screw around with a brush, get a good sponge at your local parts store or better yet order one from the Autopia store ( you know the one that deals only with paint). Once you have done this apply a coat of sealant (NXT, Klasse, etc.) to the wheels which will make them easier to care for in the future. Do not use wax since the heat build up will melt the wax and you will have done something for nothing.

As far as removing the wheel at home; have you ever changed a tire? Either use the jack that came with the car and buy youself some jack stands to place under the car once you have it in the air or better yet, get a floor jack to jack it up and then the jack stands to secure the car.
What kind of wheels do you have? I am able to get to the back of mine with a sponge that I attach to a kitchen spatula using velcro. This is for 4 different style of AMG wheels, one size being 19x10", and one set of 5 spoke 18" wheels on a Lexus. Take a look at www.griotsgarage.com. They sell what they call wheel scrubber brushes; item #15220 that are similar to what I have fabricated.

Good Luck,

Lou K[;)]

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/790052

there is the site for several pictures of my car. ill try and post a picture here... ill probably buy some jacks... and no ive never taken off wheels. the only things ive done to the car is clean the outside

oh and that was when i cleaned the wheel for like 3 days... the other 3 were very dirty :p so don' think it stood like that. and unfortuneately its not clear coated

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
Most professional/industrial "spray on, wash off" wheel cleaners (labelled "mag wheel cleaner"), are heavily acid based. I mean they start to burn your skin after a few seconds (like a bad case of sunburn and look out if you've got any old cuts), and foam up white on alloy as soon as you spray it on. There's no way any retail shelf is going to stock anything that strong but we used to buy it by the drum.
You still need to hit it with a dishwashing/toilet brush to get the brake dust out of the corners and slots, and hit it with a high pressure wash.

If the alloy has been properly polished (looks like it has), they shouldn't ruin the finish, but I've seen it turn porous, silver alloy white, especially on rims that come plastic coated, where the coating has rubbed away in places.
In some cases this stuff'll strip plastic coating off (if already a bit worn).

But then I regularly use the stuff on things like polished simmons wheels without trouble.

In the end though, a good aluminium polish by hand is the only way you're going to keep your wheels looking that good. So long as you wash them frequently enough (so that brake dust doesn't actually sink into the metal, which it does over time), just use a plain degreaser and a spong or any old nylon scrubber for the slots.
And get out the cloth, aluminium polish and elbow grease.

Umm, I know it's a Merc forum and all, but we used to have a bit of a laugh at you guys in the trade, buying all manner of "car shampoo" and "mother's protective car washing waxing ingredients from heaven"
which are basically dish washing detergent with some perfumes added and a couple of solvents which have cool looking names for the label.

Just use basic stuff, mate. Avoid costly marketing wanks. As it is there's more than enough sales pitches and not enough tech info on things like Mercs and Porsches out there, damn annoying when you're trying to get something done if you ask me.

·
Registered
CLK 230K Conv
63 Posts
lnkprksoldier - 3/26/2005 8:54 PM

all the good car stuff is out the states. whatever, here in the states we have the better girls ;)

Not wanting to get into an across the pond argument. But IF you do make the best cleaning products,you dont make the best cars not cars that can go around a bend anyway.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i love this forum too much toget in an argument.. i loove you alll.well im gonna go clea n my car again this saturday.. weather is clearing up here on so cal... soo many spots on my car :(

A

·
0 Posts
what has been used in my fathers shop for years is simple "Bathroom Limestone/rust Remover" get it at the dollar store, squirts some on, rub it around a bit with a paint brush (great for the nooks and crannies) and hose off with a garden hose. u'll be SHOCKED to see the results. even works well when morons dont clean the wheels for like 10 years, comes out like new, and u get enough for a year for the price of one bottle of the expensive crap.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sounds too harsh especially for wheels.. may eat away at clear coated.. i have no idea.. im not as educated as you all...

A

·
0 Posts
as said, it has been successfully used in the shop for years, doesnt damage the clear coating, as then it would also damage the countertops in the bathroom, ans saves much elbow grease. our other method, which IS harsh, is to take a tub, empty a battery's acid into it, add water so its 50/50, then immerse the wheel in it for about 15 minutes, then rinsing. works also, but is more dangerous to you, and smells awful. also u have to remove the tire from the wheel to do this.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
I just use Meguair's Gold Class Shampoo and it comes easy with a micro-fiber towel. I even have a sponge on a stick for the hard to reach area.

The dealer used a wheel cleaner once, and it took off the paint on my wheels. Got me 4 new free wheels on my SL.

Now on I do not even let the dealer give me a free car wash. I just wash the car myself.

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
I also hate brake dust , I bought some of those bowl shaped under the wheel dust covers ,they work well, One guy replied that they reduce air flow to cool the brakes. Others have posted Higher priced brake pads are almost dust free.

I have a bucket with tide or joy soap with hot water and a few brushes & rags , so after the brakes cool - a few hours I just soap up & detail the lugs - outer rim, and hose it off every few days. once a month with the dust covers.

Nothing looks worse than a high $$$ car with dusty black rims.

·
Registered
134 Posts
go to the sorse of the problem, brake dust. upgrade your pads next goaround.tire rack green pads.the front no different than the back on my bbs rims.long lasting as well. you dont have to get fancy to get clean.

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
411 Posts
I use exactly the same approach - Gold Class car wash in a bucket of *hot* water. I keep an old cotton hand towel nearby for the wheels exclusively and find that this combination does a better and *easier* job than any of the wheel cleaner sprays. And, I've tried them all...

I also use Zaino polish on the wheels. The Gold Class wash doesn't remove that and may account for how smoothly and easily the crud wipes off the wheels...

At the same time, I use the same rag to wipe off the tires...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts