Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I pick up my SLK 280 in 5 weeks from the Bremen factory, but want to share the experience with a friend. The thought of driving solo back across Europe doesn't cut it compared to a road movie journey!

Anyway, I had my letter yesterday from MB outlining the hotels available etc... and telling me that a second person would cost £380 extra! I would be more than willing to sacrifice my business class air fare, or even change hotels to make a second person more affordable. Has anyone tried to change arrangements to bring this cost down? Can anyone recommend a particular hotel to aim for or avoid?

I am thinking of maybe arranging my own airfare for the second person. Has anyone worked with MB collection staff in the past to get a good deal?

Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ianx,

looking on the EasyJet web site just now, it will cost £20.99 for a one way ticket to Bremen including all taxes.

Maybe I'll haggle with MB, asking them if they will contribute to me (and my friend) making our own way to Bremen rather than taking the business class ticket with Lufthansa....

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't expect that MB will pay all that much for their business class ticket with Luthansa, they'll get it for a substantial discount (at least 60 to 70% discount I suspect) versus the rack rate as they'll be such a large customer of luthansa.

As such I wouldn't personally expect MB would be all that incentivised to haggle with you.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
900 Posts
sjones - 2/27/2006 5:41 PM
Maybe I'll haggle with MB, asking them if they will contribute to me (and my friend) making our own way to Bremen rather than taking the business class ticket with Lufthansa....
They won't even change one business class ticket for two economy, because I asked. In the end, it's a lot less hassle just to pay the extra. Lufthansa business class is not the best though.

·
Registered
693 Posts
sjones - 2/27/2006 5:41 PM

Thanks Ianx,

looking on the EasyJet web site just now, it will cost £20.99 for a one way ticket to Bremen including all taxes.

Get your companion to travel by Easyjet, and then get a taxi to the Bremen customer centre from the airport. If the flight gets in fairly early they will be able to join you for the factory tour.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all,

I can't help saying that I'm disappointed in the lack of real-life common sense on MB's part here. Sure I can save over £350 by getting my friend to fly cheap alone whilst I am treated by MB to a business quality fare (which I am told above is not the best).

Yet a principle comes in here which says that I would rather fly with my friend and pay just over £40 for both of us than be separated. Then an entire ticket on Lufthansa is wasted, which seems ridiculous. Is this an attitude from MB that if you can afford a Merc, £380 isn't a problem? Financially it may not be, but my business common sense (which has got me to the place where I can afford this car) tells me I am being ripped off - and that's not a nice feeling.

As an aside, my MB dealer initially told me that the personal collection was for 2 people - flights, meals, accommodation etc... So it may help if they know what was actually being offered in lieu of the £475 delivery charge.

Not to impressed with MB on this one I have to say. I'll speak to them later and let you know how I go...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
sjones
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing