Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'09 C350 Sport
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to polish the woodgrain trim inside my truck... what is the best method of doing this without having to remove the trim??? What products work the best?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
If you are trying to remove scratches, and the trim has a good finish on it, I would suggest using something like Meguiars plastic polish and a microfiber cloth. Use it sparringly as you dont want to get the stuff down in the cracks of the edges. After polishing, you can even apply a coat of wax to it. I use non-cleaner wax like P21S or S100. Both give a nice shine to the trim. This has worked well for me.

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL / 1991 300te 4matic / 2000 e320 4matic wagon
363 Posts
If you want quickly make your wood look nice, i suggest just straight pledge. Pledge is just basically spray on carnuba wax and it has given me good results in a pinch. Doing as AmericanPie sugested will make your wood look nicer than just pledge, but it takes a little more time.

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
I agree with with Benz50602! Lemon Pledge. I keep a new bag of white socks in the garage to use on the wood. Turn the new sock inside out, spray a little Pledge on it and wipe onto the wood. Buff lightly with the sock when it is dry.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Pledge Ingredients

If you want quickly make your wood look nice, i suggest just straight pledge. Pledge is just basically spray on carnuba wax and it has given me good results in a pinch. Doing as AmericanPie sugested will make your wood look nicer than just pledge, but it takes a little more time.

I have no argument that Pledge may make your wood look good for the short term. But I have to interject on behalf of the ingredients. Pledge does NOT contain ANY carnauba wax at all. Not one speck. What it does contain is white mineral oil, silicone oil and naphtha. While these ingredients will in all likelyhood not harm your wood trim, they are nothing more than a quick superficial treatment.

·
Registered
1998 E300D
349 Posts
I have no argument that Pledge may make your wood look good for the short term. But I have to interject on behalf of the ingredients. Pledge does NOT contain ANY carnauba wax at all. Not one speck. What it does contain is white mineral oil, silicone oil and naphtha. While these ingredients will in all likelyhood not harm your wood trim, they are nothing more than a quick superficial treatment.

Agreed, the furniture polish spray (with its solvents) is a silly and age-old wives' tale. I guess what many still struggle with is the fact you're not touching "wood". You're working on many layers of poly clearcoat. Why would I want to put greasy wood polish on it, a crappy one at that?

BBAP made the correct recommendation: Treat it as you would the clear-coated surface on the car. Polish, if necessary. Use an ultra-high grade carnauba to bring out the detail and gloss. Zymol (either their DETAIL or their basic carnauba wax) is perfect for such applications. Stay away from any sort of "cleaner/waxes".

Enjoy, and leave the cheap solvent sprays in the kitchen :)

·
Registered
2001 e320 2004 e55 2007 Chevrolet Uplander
15 Posts
I've been using Meguiars NXT car wax on my cars wood with great results. The fact that it's a synthetic wax helps it not melt off in extreme heat. Seems to last about two months with no harm to the wood.

·
Registered
C320 4matic
1,743 Posts
Wow I never thought about polishing the wood trim in my car. I've always just cleaned it with a warm sponge. I think i'm going to try this the first time I really detail my car in the spring! Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
Can we clean it with..........."AJAX" :eek: :rolleyes: haha

Wax on
Wax off

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use a micro-fiber cloth to clean the wood and to avoid scratches. I then use Griot's Best of Show Wax to protect and polish the wood. It will avoid cracking over time as their product carries proper nutrients as well. And, what a perfect gloss on that wood ! No need for harsh stuff and greasy things that leave streaks . .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agreed, the furniture polish spray (with its solvents) is a silly and age-old wives' tale. I guess what many still struggle with is the fact you're not touching "wood". You're working on many layers of poly clearcoat. Why would I want to put greasy wood polish on it, a crappy one at that?

BBAP made the correct recommendation: Treat it as you would the clear-coated surface on the car. Polish, if necessary. Use an ultra-high grade carnauba to bring out the detail and gloss. Zymol (either their DETAIL or their basic carnauba wax) is perfect for such applications. Stay away from any sort of "cleaner/waxes".

Enjoy, and leave the cheap solvent sprays in the kitchen :)
is it ok to use Armor all wipes on the vynal dashboard to clean the dust and add a small shine, or would you recommend something else for quick weekly cleanups?

thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I would like to share some tips to clean the wooden interiors of your car and these are
Don’t use harsh cleaners on the wood; as it can badly affect the appearance of the wood instead just wipe off the dust with a soft cloth or feather and then with a damp cloth. After wiping off the dust you can apply wooden polish to make it shinier. For my car I use Colron products, as they have a wide variety of items. I would suggest you try the same as well.

·
Premium Member
Present Stable = '88 560SL ,'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, '06 LR3 HSE, and '17 Newmar Essex
1,318 Posts
I tape mine off 3M Blue automotive masking tape (between edges of wood console/dash panels and upholstery/leather/viynl trim then I use a natural carnauba wax to wax/polish the genuine wood trip sections (never tried on plastic and wouldn't recommend it).

Once it glazes over, I remove using soft terry cloth towels and find a brilliant reflective appearance to the wood that is lasting and only taken minor wipe downs (terry cloth again) to maintain.

key is that genuine wood interior components have naturally lubricated properties that can get dried out due to UV rays, climate control (HVAC) systems,, etc....using a good quality wax (not polish) that has natural oils embedded in it aids in maintaining both the finished luster of the wood (yes, the varnish) and as well penetrates the wood (believe or not). Aerosol sprays such as Pledge, Armour All, etc..only provide a cosmetic result and in some cases can be more damaging when it comes to magnifying the effect of UV rays.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use Pledge for polishing interior of my truck, its a spray used for polishing, it wont require to take out the trim so you can apply simply by spraying it on the wooden parts. Its a simple procedure of polishing your car but be careful and take your for the first time polishing.

·
Premium Member
Present Stable = '88 560SL ,'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, '06 LR3 HSE, and '17 Newmar Essex
1,318 Posts
I use Pledge for polishing interior of my truck, its a spray used for polishing, it wont require to take out the trim so you can apply simply by spraying it on the wooden parts. Its a simple procedure of polishing your car but be careful and take your for the first time polishing.
just curious...what kinda truck you got that has genuine real wood dash/console trim in it?

·
Registered
2008 CLK550, 2012 C300
573 Posts
Pledge is lemon scented mineral spirits.

I had a piece of wood trim refinished by Drew Tibken in NC. While speaking with him on telephone I asked what he uses to polish wood trim: Maguire’s number 26 wax, nothing else.

I use clean moistened rag to remove dust and spots, then use number 26 or 3m plastic polish.

Thanks,
Zill.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.