Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thanks in advance for your advice.
I have burned hours searching the forum to try and understand the best way to integrate IPod functionality into my sound system. I have a 2007 R350 with the HK system and the dual DVD second row set up. Also have the factory bluetooth. I'd like to be able to play music off my IPhone/Ipod while maintaining the bluetooth functionality for the phone. Despite my efforts, I can't seem to find a thread the clearly lays out the options for integrating IPod functionality. The dealer wants over $500 to install the IPod aux cable. Seems like an awfully proud price to run a cable. Thanks for helping.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
I don't know how reasonable the dealer's price is compared to other dealers - but other options that offer full integration may be at least as expensive. The Dension Gateway 500 is not listed as compatible with your car on the Dension website (www.dension.com), and runs around $500 without installation.

I can't get the CarTronics site to open up any information about the R-Class and iPod integration, but you could try it at CarTronics, the Leading Authority on Vehicle Electronics. The site may not be compatible with my Safari browser. You could also contact forum member InCarTronics.

I did not see price information on the mObridge product that is shown as compatible with your car, at MOST iPod & Aux | mObridge Inc

Many CarTronics and mObridge devices require one to give up use of the CD changer, at least in the installations I am familiar with. Check this before ordering anything.

Sorry I can't provide more, but it's a start.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just like mObridge/Cartronics unit, Nav-TV OPi-M integrates into MOST fiber optic network and CD changer port, effectively replacing the CD changer, but if you add an iPod to the car why would you need a CD changer? Should you want to listen to an occasional CD there is always a CD slot on the radio.

Just giving you all the options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have the CD changer. Do have the rear seat dual screen dvd system however. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Your car should already have a stereo input jack in glovebox--this is called AUX input and you can obtain a cable that interfaces iPod with this. All music selection remains from the iPod itself.

Mercedes dealer can alternately replace that input with a special iPod adapter cable system (it's more than a cable, and includes an interface box) that will charge your iPod and provide steering wheel button/multifunction display (NOT COMAND display) control of music selection.

Neither of these has any affect on phone system, and phone system will mute this input same as radio, CD, etc. input when required.

Finally, if your iPod is really an iPhone, Mercedes can provide a cradle that fits in your console that mounts the phone there and charges it and connects it to car's antenna. With factory iPod interface installed, an additional cable can be run to console area to connect to this cradle and provide music interface same as in glove box as described in 2nd option above. Note: for phone capability, iPhone does NOT need to be affixed in cradle, as it uses Bluetooth, too ... it does need to be in cradle to use music functionality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts