Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good washer fluid for my car? I want something comparable to the MB stuff that I can pick up at an auto parts store or Wal-Mart. I normally just toss in my other cars, what ever is cheap at Wal-Mart, but this car is very picky. Don't want to select the wrong stuff.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had no problem buying the cheap stuff for my benzes. I really don't see a difference in washer fluid.

·
9,038 Posts
I don't believe washer fluid is a big deal in our cars. As long as the fluid is able to withstand the temperatures you're operating in and that you don't store the same fluid for years in the tank.. you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
some one told me to use 1 to 2 drops of dawn dishsoap, in your cheap mixes! sounded good to me. dont know if you can get it in us? maby thats where its made! but its good stuf

·
Registered
20 Posts
Problem is, most of your cheap fluids won't deal with bugs. Come June you would wish there was a magic fluid, especially those of you who live in the CA central valley...Dear Lord, the bugs are bad there.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
None..using your windshield washer system is really quite hard on your windscreen and 2ndarily your wipers. Unless you have cleaned them recently there will be a considerable amount of dirt/grit on your wipers and that gets ground into the glass quite nicely when you fire up the washers.

I hardly use my wipers @ all..even in the rain. I always keep a very fresh coat of rainX on all my glass, plus a container of Invisible glass and some soft towels for glass cleaning handy in the car (real terry cloth towels work Worlds better then paper towels).

Jonathan

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
None..using your windshield washer system is really quite hard on your windscreen and 2ndarily your wipers. Unless you have cleaned them recently there will be a considerable amount of dirt/grit on your wipers and that gets ground into the glass quite nicely when you fire up the washers.

I hardly use my wipers @ all..even in the rain. I always keep a very fresh coat of rainX on all my glass, plus a container of Invisible glass and some soft towels for glass cleaning handy in the car (real terry cloth towels work Worlds better then paper towels).

Jonathan
I agree, however I think the washer fluid tank should be filled to avoid condensation which could corrode the tank heater lines inside the tank. I almost never use the washer, because I clean the entire car at least once per week. I haven't filled it since I purchased the car and I think it might be about time to top it off. Am I wrong in thinking this?

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
No, that is true..I keep my filled, I just never use them :p Although the heating element/cooling lines will keep the moisture from forming in there!

Jonathan

·
Registered
9 Posts
I filled up my washing fluid tank a couple years ago, and there must've been a leak in it, because in five minutes all the fluid was on the floor. I'm just getting into this stuff - is it easy to pull out / replace?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
some one told me to use 1 to 2 drops of dawn dishsoap, in your cheap mixes! sounded good to me. dont know if you can get it in us? maby thats where its made! but its good stuf
Say away from the Dawn. As with most/all dishwashing liquids, they think your wax is grease, and does a good job of stripping it away as the fluid rinses across your roof-line, from the windshild and hood, from the headlight nozzles.

…A man after my own heart. Not only do I use RainX, but I’m usually the only dude at the gas station on road trips using purified water in a spray bottle and a clean towel from my own trunk to clean my windshield. :rolleyes: Ever smell the complimentary washer fluid at the gas station? :eek:

I agree, however I think the washer fluid tank should be filled to avoid condensation which could corrode the tank heater lines inside the tank. I almost never use the washer, because I clean the entire car at least once per week. I haven't filled it since I purchased the car and I think it might be about time to top it off. Am I wrong in thinking this?
I do this too, MX. Just don’t do what I used to do with my last Benz. Don’t use Florida tap water. You know the water is really hard here and it causes mineral deposits around the spouts and pumps and such. I always just buy some from Wally-World to stay topped off. That seems to keep buildup down.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
well thanks for the advice about dawn, you tried it? & about rainx i used to use it on the porshe, but these days its not the same , its a fool profe verson, & i just ran out of my aircraft verson! does it work as good ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've only used rainX once, on a project car I drove home with dead wipers.
I don't know how well it would work at low speeds, but once I managed to get to medium speed, the rain slid right off of the windshield.

That being said, it required a dry windshield to apply. How often do you find a dry windshield in the NorthWest?!? That took some doing with a pile of shop rags, trying to get it even close to dry enough to get the stuff to stick!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a home brew for window washing solution. It was in a Consumers Report many years ago.

In a gallon jug

1 pint rubbing alcohol
1 cup sudsy ammonia
2 tble liquid soap like Dawn or Palmolive
Fill with filtered water

I've been using this in all my cars and on windows at my store and home for many, many years.

Note not all rubbing alcohols are the same. The budget stores have a lower % of alcohol than a drug store. You want the good stuff.

John

·
9,038 Posts

Jonathan
RainX won't help me in my situation with the 190E. The roads here get dirty and with trucks,moisture and soot... the windshield gets plastered with crud and requires me to use the wipers to make it visible for the driver again. Infact, a month ago my lighting was so bad I had to pull over and wipe my headlight lenses clean since my 190E does not have headlight wipers.

RainX only works in an environment that is not very dirty and when you're traveling at a higher speed. At city driving speeds, the rain barely trickles off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I believe MB used to sell some as a powder that you mixed. The local dealer did not have any when I checked a while back. They just use the same stuff you get at the grocery store now.

Colin

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Here's a home brew for window washing solution. It was in a Consumers Report many years ago.

In a gallon jug

1 pint rubbing alcohol
1 cup sudsy ammonia
2 tble liquid soap like Dawn or Palmolive
Fill with filtered water

I've been using this in all my cars and on windows at my store and home for many, many years.

Note not all rubbing alcohols are the same. The budget stores have a lower % of alcohol than a drug store. You want the good stuff.

John
Sounds good, and not much should get on the paint, and will be diluted. Yet I understand to remove all old wax residue, wash your car with dish washing liquid.
Yes, look for the percentage on the label of rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Today I saw a fluid mix for sale that has Rain-X mixed in, it was a yellowish/orange color, .58 cents more than the regular blue.

Anyone used this? What would rain x do if sprayed on painted surfaces, hood dribbles? Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I'm a big fan of Rain X...I don't use my washers but if I did I'd put their fluid in;-)

Jonathan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts