Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running my new SLK350 on the track next month and I'm trying to prep it, and basically decided that our stock Primacy tires suck. I'm not looking to change rims yet so just to replace the stock tires with better ones. I have two questions:

1. What's the largest size tire we can fit on our stock (10-spoke) wheels? I currently have 225/45/17 (17x7.5) F and 245/40/17 (17x8.5) R. I'm hoping for 235/40/17 F and 255/40/17 R

2. What's the best tire for the stock wheels? I'm basically looking at the Bridgestone Potenza S-03's since I used them in my old car and they did nothing but grip grip grip in dry and wet. Absolutely awesome. But they'd be $230 each after I get them from tirerack and mount/balance. Perhaps I'd consider the Kumho Ecsta MX's or Sumitomo HTR-II's?

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi there,

SO3 is good coz currently i m using that....[:D] Grip is definately there... but if u really wants the best tyres. I would advice go for Michelin Pilot Sport 2. Its definately the best road tyres in the world. If u only use for tracking y dont u try semi-slick tyres???[:p]

Happy tracking...

Cheers...

·
Registered
06 SLK350
75 Posts
Any advice on tires that have a good treadlife? I know we cant rotate (unless moving tires to the other side do anything) and I have read here that ppl seem to need to replace after 12-15k miles. Yikes.
[xx(]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Don't know where you are reading the 12k-15K replacement...I have 10K on mine and they are nowhere near needing replacement...[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

ps - I have Conti's

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Well, it would be adviseable to replace after 15k miles, and I know this was the case with my old SLK.

I'm running SO3's at the moment.

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm gonna go with the S03's. The kind of driving I'm doing, I don't mind investing the money in them. Better spend $800 on good tires than total your car on the track. I don't know about the Pilot Sport 2's, I heard bad things about them from my friends who drive M3s.

On that note, would it be possible to run 255/40/17's on the rears? Pros/Cons of doing so?

·
Registered
05-SLK 350
35 Posts
hey what are pielli pilots like, i have them on the car now they seem to be gr8 but they were standerd so i dont how they would compare with other tyres.

Cheers Curtis

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're Michelin Pilot Sports. I've never driven on them so I'll defer to the M3 owners/previous owners. You should definitely spring for the S03's if you can. You won't regret it. Grip grip and more grip.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
How about T1-Ss from Toyo (discontinued?? Dunno)? I had them on my M3 and loved them. Cheaper than PSs and S03s, lasted long and very grippy (temp above 50F). They were noisy, tho..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts