Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What for you is the best thing in owning a W123? Doesn't matter if it's gas or diesel, 5-digit mileage figures or 5 times that.

I'll let you guys chime in first. Don't wanna spoil the fun [:D]

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
Cheap tax,
Luxurious image,
Build to last,
Reliability,
Easy to maintain,
Deliver everywhere, anywhere, anytime,
Can use current MB S-Class rims,
Turn heads,
Abundant compliments....

[8D]

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Everybody my age(im 19) has little rice burners or lifted trucks and so do all my friends, yet i drive a classic 82 300d turbo, and i love it. My friends have had countless problems with there cars and trucks and my diesel??? NONE! Just minor tune ups and things like that and it runs forever. I love my 123 and i dont care what anyone says, i will keep it for a really really really long time. Plus it sounds 100 times better than all those fart can exhausts out there. I got T R U E power. Ya, thats my insight[|)]

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
"Feel this remote, Dorothy---it has heft. It has power!"
--Sophia Petrillo

While the latter might not be true of automatic model 240D's, they are very hefty autos--

if i had to sum it up in an analogy; i'd say the w123 is the successful child of a wealthy parent-- they took their breeding and social status and built upon them. they are not content to just rest on their laurels and require high-cost maintenence and upkeep like the current models. they are not spoiled children; they are children that have earned their success. the W123's are much more Conrad Hilton--Current Mercedes models would very much mirror Paris. Pampered, Spoiled, Expensive to maintain and of no real substance.

i have to say, though. atleast no c or e class i know of has had a night vision home sex tape surface on the internet--

to further the comparison, and to quote Ms Hilton-- the modern mercedes is "hot" if you like svelte plastic bits and quick romps[}:)]
However, my car has a bumper-sticker that reads-- "I do it slow" take that for what its worth.

·
Registered
'72 220d, 250td, e320cdi
249 Posts
because you could buy a car that looks like this for peanuts, yet it would still be more reliable than most modern cars!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
I would have to go with price. I was looking for a cheap go to work car and was looking at mid 90's camery and taurus and such cars. But when I decided I wanted a diesel (I want to run bio diesel) the choice was clear! [:D] and to my amazement the car I now own was about $1500 less than the crap I was looking at before! Plus it has style. I used to have a ford Tempo up to about 4 years ago and never once heard someone say "cool car!" Now it happens all the time [:D][:D][:D]

I love being able to work on the car too. My first car was a 1974 (same year a me) Chevy Nova. That was really easy to work on too.

Mike

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
The 123, 107 and 116 were the Mercedes models of my childhood (I'm 30). In the city I grew up in a very succesful orchestra conductor had a white 250 with a blue interior.

One night my mom and I were walking home after an orchestra rehearsal and the conductor was just getting into the 250. As we approached I asked my mom if we should say hello (she is a musician also). So we walked up to him and my mom started saying something to the effect that we were both big fans and wanted to thank him for the performance. The conductor though realized exactly what was going on and turned to me and said: "You wanna look at the Mercedes, don't you?" I nodded and he let me sit in the driver' seat while the car idled. I was about seven at the time. I guess, that's when my love affair with the 123 started.

It wasn't until this past December that I finally found the one I had been looking for.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flyboyike - 4/25/2005 2:38 PM

The 123, 107 and 116 were the Mercedes models of my childhood (I'm 30). In the city I grew up in a very succesful orchestra conductor had a white 250 with a blue interior.

One night my mom and I were walking home after an orchestra rehearsal and the conductor was just getting into the 250. As we approached I asked my mom if we should say hello (she is a musician also). So we walked up to him and my mom started saying something to the effect that we were both big fans and wanted to thank him for the performance. The conductor though realized exactly what was going on and turned to me and said: "You wanna look at the Mercedes, don't you?" I nodded and he let me sit in the driver' seat while the car idled. I was about seven at the time. I guess, that's when my love affair with the 123 started.

It wasn't until this past December that I finally found the one I had been looking for.
Ike, that is a very nice story. It should be in a Love My Benz commercial! I guess my car also goes back to my childhood, not as a dream car, but as a "family car".

When I was a kid visiting the US as a tourist, my grandpa was the owner of my car (first, actually). We drove around Ridgecrest in the Benz and I have a faint memory of looking down from the back seat and noticing the small hump on the driverside floorboard, like it's bulging out from the main driveshaft hump. I also remembered looking at the massive seat belt buckles and the firm MB-Tex texture, the suppleness of the rear seat, and the funny Benz smell. I don't know why I had that memory or why that particular one stuck in my head. Anyway...

Years later, when we moved here, we were visiting them for a while and my mom found out that it (the Benz) was for sale. We quickly told her to give it to us since she was deciding to send it to charity. Little did I know that it was for sale back then when I said "Nice car" while looking at it, when we drove to a certain beachfront/cliff overlooking a very nice view of the Pacific Ocean.

When my grandma talked to me about the car when she was still in Torrance (she moved back to Ridgecrest) and I was already here as a permanent resident, she told me that Tio Rudy (her late husband, my grandpa) bought the car for her because she had motion sickness. And the comfort and stability of the car suited her well. Plus, my Tio Rudy was an architect and worked for the government about confidential info he didn't even mention to my Tia. I guess he got the Manila Beige color to suit the desert well (camouflage [:D]) but looking at it every now and then makes me think the color is so unique and stands out you can easily spot my car anytime. Its registration date is also Feb. 14 so I guess it's a "love car".

I test drove it and my first experience was "My God this is such a slow tank!" but I was far from letting it ruin my chance of owning a Benz. It was my first time to drive a diesel, let alone a diesel Benz! This guy drove up next to us while I parked it, seeing the "For Sale" sign at the back windshield and asked "How much?" then my grandma wanted to answer but didn't know. In my head I thought, "Sorry buddy, I'm taking it!" [:D]

I remember I was wearing shorts and sandals, and then it eventually grew alot colder so we hurried home and I got the car. I drove the Benz for the first time on the freeway. I felt very confident in driving it. "Hey I'm driving a Benz now" I laughed to myself knowing that people will say "Who cares?" and back then the car was still dirty and scraggy. And since my right foot wasn't yet used to the pedal, I drove a slow 65mph. Now I go screaming at 80 on average. Sometimes, if the music sets it right, I take a cruise at 70 to 75.

Here's a pic looking over the pacific ocean. That's me third from left, and my Tia is the one standing at leftmost.

[8D]

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Hook me up with the chick! Shes like a dream come true.

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
RE: Two Words…

jdc1244a - 4/25/2005 11:52 PM

Babe Magnet..

(That’s me on the cooler, btw, sucking back the long neck; next to my 123 I look like Russell Crowe)[8D]
Come on... how much did you pay her to stand there?

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
I love fact that a 24 year old car with nearly 400,000 miles on it can still be reliable, and act and look like a brand new car. As with most other college students, I cant afford a new car, frequent car repairs, or cars that suck fuel. The car is a headturner up here at Iowa State, (I have only seen one other vintage 300D around).

·
Registered
483 Posts
I never intended to get a W123, at first, I was tossing a car out of my backyard. But then, I came across my W123, which was for sale. At $700, I think it's a bargain. There was a little rust on the wheel well, but I was thinking, I'm just replacing the car I'm tossing out. This time, it moves! As a college student, I don't have time or money to fix cars. Ironically, this summer job money was well spent. I haven't replaced anything that was causing the car to not move. Only problem I had was during the cold days.

A

·
0 Posts
ITS A DREAM COME TRUE.....FINALLY!!!!

ever since i can remember, hanging around my dad's Mercedes Shop, i have been around mercedes benzs. i am 22. (for time frame reference) i always knew that one day i would have my own Mercedes Benz....to drive, love, and appreciate. but then the shop was shut down due to a nasty stepmom, doing a dirty divorce, stealing everything, and i ended up living in germany for a long time. there i couldnt ever get a benz, because NO ONE my age can afford the enviromental tax for such a "HUGE" engine, and of course, the new ones are all too expensive. so then i came back here, after my apprenticship, and drove a CRX for a while. well, she lasted until 163k miles, where she ate a valve on the highway, and died. then i needed to get a car. sure enough, just like fate would have, the first day i picked up the paper, there was my dream coupe, sitting in someone's front yard, for only 550 dollars. i raced over there in the rental car, and bought her on the spot, without having ever seen her run or anything. she was brought on a flatbed to a friends benz garage, where a battery was installed, and she fired right up. a few small headaches later, and i have my perfectly running dream benz, just like i always wanted!

and the things good about her:

She is a masterpiece of mechanical engineering!

I get compliments from much older people almost every time i pull in for fuel.

Diesel torque enables me to dust riceburners all the time, earning me stares from all the "mis-informed" people who "think" they have the best kind of vehicle.

40 MPG speaks for itself on a 20 year old vehicle.

And last, but not least, she completes my "image" as a german......as in "there comes that german, in his benz, with his techno musik"

and she's just fun to drive, especially when flying past people driving v8 camaros on the interstate!

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
2,533 Posts
i just got back from the car wash--

heres another few good points-

easy to wash. the car is so flat, there arent very many holes or folds or umm well, just places to miss, except the license plate and the little bits under the head/taillights.

easy to vacuum-- just take the carpets out!

flatish windows are good, ever tried to clean the lower middle dash/winshield of a "cab forward" car?! the leon is hell on the arms trying to get the very tip of the dash! the benz people made life much easier whenever they did the dash, you can fold the rag over the front edge! genius!

they dont fall apart, either. with elbow grease just about any w123 can be a great looking car!

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
Hey now, we arent all hicks in Iowa. I cant say the same if you go to Iowa State though, theres plenty of students here in the Agricultural College that are dressed like the came just off the field, and love to drive their Diesel 1-tons

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
No one is a hick in Iowa – they are among the best-educated, well-cultured people in the country. I know because I lived in Ames when I was a kid about four hundred years ago; my father taught at ISU.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts