Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to suspect the self-levellers on the back of the E430. I have heard various truly stunning prices for these units -but on the other hand I have also seen some online adverts for as little as $399.

Does anyone have a recommended source? Is there an MB part no I should be quoting?

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
I would suggest the following, unless the struts (shock look alike) leak, they are probably good. The common fault is the diaphram in the hydraulic accumulator (ball shaped things) going bad. The accumulators have a diaphram which separates the oil fom the nitrogen fill, the stuts get the cushioning from the combination of gas and oil. As they fail the gas bleeds out, and fills the accumulator since the fluid is in constant flow. The oil is controlled by the valve on the rear axle. The first indication is a spongey ride, and then the opposite. The spheres job is roughly $350, the struts are over $1000 ea. It is a messy job a lift is neccessary, and so are good flare wrenches.

· Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnaks. I'm familiar with the whole nitrogen sphere thing from a few years with Citroens - used to have a guy come by with a 70 bar nitrogen bottle who recharged your spheres on the spot. In this case I don't think it's the spheres, since there's something clonking at the back over all our lovely speed-bumps here.

· Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
stock

or heavy duty? an e430 wagon?
ohlord:bowdown:

· Registered
2008 S550 designo
393 Posts
I replaced the shocks on my S500. They were both clunking over small and large bumps alike. When I purchased the car, the accumulators were shot, so we did those first (at the selling dealers cost.) That solved the bouncy ride, but the clunking was still there. Replacement of both shocks cured that. I bought them from AutohausAZ for $562 each. The dealer wants over $1000 each and my indy quoted $750. He was happy to install the parts I purchased on my own. The difference in ride is astonishing.

trey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.