Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
SLR-Roadster, SL55AMG, Lexus, Escalade
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which MB dealership in southern California has the better/best SLR mechanic(s)? Time to service my roadster again. I'm asking for other SLR owners' opinions and recommendations (no self promotion replies, please). Regards - TTL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rusnak Mercedes? Hmmm...You be the judge

I just had my 05 SLR towed to Rusnak in Arcadia, CA. My battery completely died, so I could not turn the key in the ignition to start the engine. I charged my battery using the authorized SLR charger (took 4.5 days to completely charge the batteries. I still could not turn the key in the ignition, and the car did not respond to the buttons on the smart key. Before they towed my vehicle, they told me that it sounds like the batteries need to be replaced. When the vehicle finally got to the dealer, the first thing they called me for was who authorized the tow to the dealer because the tow truck had towed it incorrectly. I told them that it was authorized by Mercedes Roadside assistance. I called them back the next day about the tow issue, and this time they told me that it was towed correctly but the driver left it on a block. I didn't understand what that meant, but I felt a bit uneasy about that. They said they would need to diagnose the vehicle first which would cost $145. They were able to turn the key and start the engine right at the start. Very strange cause the tow truck driver and I both tried it and were not successful. They said the batteries were fine but my EIS (electronic ignition switch) needed to be replaced at $3500. They told me my keys may need to be replaced as well which were $1000 per key. Luckily they did not need replacing.

I asked them to check the car because it was making a rattling noise, and they told me it was something to do with a harness or something. They told me that they could take care of that issue if they serviced the vehicle. They are trying to contact the original dealer that performed the earlier services to see what other services need to be performed. I'm thinking about picking my car up first and find another dealer to do the service. I'm thinking about taking it to Penske in West Covina.

I just feel that they should treat an SLR owner a little different. I feel they are just trying to make money off of me because they know SLR owners will not take this vehicle to anywhere else but a authorized Mercedes dealer. I have had my Lamborghini Gallardo serviced by O'gara Coach and my Ferrari Scaglietti by Newport Beach Ferrari. The service is just so much better at the other exotic car dealers. I feel more appreciated for being an owner of a Lambo or a Ferrari. My car is still at the dealer, but that is my experience so far. Any comments or recommendations would greatly be appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts