Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this great forum. I just bought a 2011 SL550 that I absolutely love. The car has 32k miles and drives like a dream. I've done some reading on the infamous ABC system and I plan on a DIY flush soon. Besides regular oil changes and the like, what other maintenance steps should I perform to keep this beauty in tip top shape for the nest 10 years?

I apologize if there's a list that already exists but I didn't see anything after searching.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and great choice of car to own Joe!

Do the ABC and filter as you already noted. It is now 8 years old, and many items on this car are time related, not miles.
Service the engine, trans and everything else by the book. That means bleeding the brakes annually per the Service A&B schedule as the fluid is hygroscopic (likes to absorb water).
Keep the rear battery on a tender if parked for more than 3 days.
Those are the basics.

I'm sure there are others that will chime in with good preventative items on a time or mileage basis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum, and great choice of car to own Joe!

Do the ABC and filter as you already noted. It is now 8 years old, and many items on this car are time related, not miles.
Service the engine, trans and everything else by the book. That means bleeding the brakes annually per the Service A&B schedule as the fluid is hygroscopic (likes to absorb water).
Keep the rear battery on a tender if parked for more than 3 days.
Those are the basics.

I'm sure there are others that will chime in with good preventative items on a time or mileage basis.
Great advise, thank you. To my surprise the car already had a Ctek battery tender connected to the rear battery when I bought it. It gave me a great feeling that the car was well taken care of. I was thinking I would use it only if she remained parked for more than a week. You're thinking only 3 days?

I was wondering if I should lube the roof and if so if there's any documentation on lube points.

Anything else that will help prevent future failure?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Most service you need to perform will be at the 40-50K mileage point.
Trans filter and fluid, suspension bushings on the front end, possibly the brakes and rotors, alarm siren (time limited), rear trunk soft close, many other potential items.

Over time, the plastics and electrics and gas struts begin to fail, and you have to keep up with repairing them.
There are good rubber lubricants (gummi pflege is great) for lubricating your weatherstrips every couple years.

Search for buyers guides to get a feel for what to keep an eye on. Not much maintenance that will prevent failures, just repairs to keep on top of.

Car will depreciate fast, so just drive it and enjoy it, and don't worry about the cash. If you worry, you won't enjoy it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Get yourself an iCarsoft MB II scanner at the very least—you will need it to service your brakes (if your car still uses the SBC). It’s also good to scan and read codes from all of the installed controllers. General purpose OBD scanners are not sufficient. (Search Amazon for the iCarsoft MB II. Should be about $150.)

Second, the brake fluid gets changed every TWO years. You can also get a brake fluid test pen on amazon to show how much water has been absorbed.

Third, if you have the newer 722.9 7G transmission, you can wait for 70,000 miles to drain and fill the tranny fluid (you also replace the filter). Otherwise, do it at 40,000 miles.

Fourth, if your ABC is fine, get a couple of filters and change it if the car starts to settle overnight. That may allow you to avoid replacing a valve body.

Otherwise, YouTube is a great resource for when other things go wrong.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,826 Posts
Third, if you have the newer 722.9 7G transmission, you can wait for 70,000 miles to drain and fill the tranny fluid (you also replace the filter). Otherwise, do it at 40,000 miles.
Reverse that - 722.9 (7-Speed) needs a service EVERY 40K miles, the 722.6 (5-Speed) can be services every 70K.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Reverse that - 722.9 (7-Speed) needs a service EVERY 40K miles, the 722.6 (5-Speed) can be services every 70K.
You're right. It depends on which class and engine car you have. Since this is the R230 forum, change the fluid every 40k miles. The change interval on my 2014 C350 is 70k miles, but a 2014 SL is at 30k miles. I have a 722.906 tranny mated to a M276.957 engine. My SL500 has the 722.901 tranny with the M113.963 engine.

·
18,826 Posts
It's not the engine, but the transmission. The newer 722.9's (from about 2011 on) used a different low-friction fluid (the blue stuff as opposed to the red stuff). I think on those, they extended the service intervals.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you look at the maintenance schedule in the attached maintenance booklet, you will see that multiple models are listed with different change intervals, and even different engines within models. Go figure.

Attachments

·
18,826 Posts
I am pretty sure those differences are based on cars that have the auto-stop feature vs. not, plus the FWD CLA, and the hybrid. Also, those are all newer versions of the 722.9 using the "blue" low friction fluid. For the R230 with a 722.9 (and other cars using the 722.9 with red fluid) the interval is every 40K miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to add I have the Carsoft scanner, easy to use and already saved me the purchase price by helping diagnose an intermittent seat connector that was throwing error codes. Best preventative stuff has already been mentioned but I did a gearbox oil change and ABC Fluid change when I purchased the car. I've also subsequently had to have the valve blocks rebuilt. Looking at the state of the seals on them when they came out of the car I'd recommend having those rebuilt as a preventative measure too as if the seals are degrading they'll potentially be introducing rubber particles into the ABC fluid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts