Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'75 240D
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, know it's been a while.

Earlier this morning I decided to replace my squealing old nasty belts. Now, I'm not positive on how your 123's compare, but I'm sure there are a fair amount of similarities. I replaced the alternator/fan belt, way easier than I thought! But I moved on the power steering, and it's absolutely killing me. Since it doesn't have a bolt that you can crank the tension down with, I'm kind of at a loss. The manual of course says just to push out the pump by, "means of a lever," and then tighten the bolts. How helpful. I've tried a broom stick, handles of wrenches, etc and nothing seems to be able to even fit anywhere to get good leverage. The best I had was using my long breaker bar to push out, but it kept slipping.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
I APOLOGIZE! I did not read hard enough and see that this is not a 123 car. I'm sorry I can't help further. If there is not a tensioning bolt, have you tried loosening the pump bolts and finding a place for a lever?

·
Registered
'75 240D
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey that's fine! I appreciate the advice anyway. Yes, today I loosened everything up and pulled it as tight as I could just man-powering it myself, it'll hold until I can grab a friend and pop her up on jack stands this weekend!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts