Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 model w210 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys! i would just like to ask on what would be the best performence intake for the w210 e55 amg.? is it the stock or are there any aftermarket brands available and also howmuch is the price and how big is the gain on power? thanks!!!

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
The stock intake is a very efficient big box which can suck a LOT of air.

Stock is the best efficient for the buck, keep the inside filter elements fresh... there are/were some custom carbon fiber boxes that keep the intake air theorectically cooler..but were about $3000 if I recall.

The only way to get significantly more perfomance out of W210 E55 is to add the Kleeman supercharger package, those original Kleeman modified cars are very rare, but do come up for sale for the patient.

The monor mods are a exhaust x-box, maybe talk to speedtuningusa.com (Oliver) about a flash.. keep fluids/filters/MAF fresh..

·
Registered
2003 CL600
91 Posts
Renntech makes a carbon fiber airbox for the W210.

·
Registered
99 model w210 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a friend whos really good into making pipes for race cars such as dragcars, circuitcars, bikes etc... im plnaning on modifying the intake pipes of the e55 and make it bigger made of aluminum then knn intakes to have better airflow.. what do you think of it? thanks! making my own version of coldairintake..

·
Registered
95 Posts
while the stock intake setup does flow alot of air, there is a crazy bottleneck at the back where it connects to the maf (circled in the pic). this is the biggest restriction and downside of it.

to keep the airway at a full 3.5", i used three 3.5" 45degree pipes and routed a conical filter next to the foglight. you can see it if you look thru the bumper mesh. never dyno'd it, but it "feels" like it pulls so much more at mid and upper rpm ranges. once i put this contraption on, at wot it always chirps the tires into second gear, even with the 19"'s.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
yeah, the piping replaces the cover. might not look the greatest, but this ain't no show car.

the filter i used was a K&N part# RE0950. you can probably use a longer one since there was still some room before the filter nose makes any contact with the lower splash shield.

·
Registered
95 Posts
while i've never taken a renntech box apart, if the area that attaches to the maf is the same thickness (at the very back of the intake box right above where it attaches to the maf...it narrows down to fit under the hood), then yes, a true 3.5" setup would flow alot more. i can maybe get some pics of the area i'm talking about if needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great intake setup

I have a 2000 E55 and I like that set up can you take more pics? the filter is behind the fog light. Hey can you write some instruction and tool list I want to do that mod to my e55. I live close to speedtuning so I was going to go there for an ECU upgrade, the dealership it would be a bad idea though. What do you think?

·
Registered
95 Posts
the filter actually sits right next to the foglight. throwing this thing together was easy enough....i'll see what i can do this weekend for pics and a parts list.

·
Registered
'68 280SE (w108), '72 280SE 3.5(w108), '88 560SEL(w126), '97 E50 (W210
179 Posts
the filter actually sits right next to the foglight. throwing this thing together was easy enough....i'll see what i can do this weekend for pics and a parts list.

Cool, so it picks up cold air.:) Only one problem I see with this set up being applied to the Philippines is the propensity for flooding in our streets, and if you forget you have your air filter sitting that low...glug glug glug glug...:D

Actually, it has happened already. I have witnessed a flood soaked E55 engine being taken out in the shop after ingesting water. The owner drove it into a flooded area where it stalled, then he cranked it some more to get it restarted, with predictable results.

·
Registered
99 model w210 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow poor e55 what colr is it?? poor baby. im planing to do the intake set up but not tomput the intake as low as the foglamps maybe as level as the headlamps would be safe. then make a connector near the grill to get cold air.

·
Registered
95 Posts
ok here's two pics of the area i'm talking about. see how it necks down so much? not good for smooth airflow at all. the circled area is where it attaches to the maf.

i used three 45 degree 3.5" piping from vibrant
Vibrant Performance ::.

you'll need a 3.5" 90 degree silicone bend as well (to attach to the maf). this piece you will have to trim the ends so it's shorter, letting the whole pipe setup sit lower (closer to the engine) for proper hood clearance. iirc, i cut "about" 1.5"-2" off each end, but please don't quote me on that as it's been acouple of years since i did it.

and two of these couplers to connect all the piping...

obviously you don't need to use 4 ply stuff, but this is what i got at work, so it'll do.

the filter i used was a K&N cone filter part# RE0950

and don't forget six 3.5" hose clamps.

once the stock airbox is off, just by looking at the pics you can tell how to route the pipes. the hardest one is the last 45 degree piece as you'll have to remove the lower spash panel to install it. what i did was attach the filter to the pipe, and snaked it from under the car, then connected it to the rest of the piping from the engine bay. you might have to shorten one or two of the aluminum pipes, again, iirc. don't tighten anything yet until all pieces are in place and routed nice.

my first setup only consisted of two 45 degree pipes, and located the filter right behind the headlight, in the engine bay. i had a heatshield made up, and this sort of helped as the filter ingested air from the opening where the passenger side snorkel used to be. didn't really like that setup, so that's when i added the third piece of pipe and located the filter next to the foglight. i knew there MIGHT be a problem with water, but i'm taking the chance. when i had my old bmw, i had a dinan cai which was basically the same design as this one, and i never had a problem with water ingestion...i didn't even have a lower splash panel on it either. but depending on you geographic location, this most definitely should be a concern. although aem makes a bypass valve (i personally never used one) like this: AEM - Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air but i don't think they make a 3.5" one.

i'll try to get more pics of the setup abit later today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts