Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 280 SE
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best oil for a M110 280 engine?

I have a 280 C W123, and the oil press at idle is 1 and sometimes below that and the valve seals are bad, i was thinking Mobile 1 because of the valve seals but my dad says it needs a thicker oil because of the bad oil pressure.[?][?]

Thanks in advance

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
A fully synthetic oil like Mobil 1 isn't suited to your engine if its slightly worn. Tr...

A fully synthetic oil like Mobil 1 isn't suited to your engine if its slightly worn. Try a good quality none synthetic multigrade around 15/40.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
'86 280 GE

I have used Castrol 20W 50 in the G-wagen and find it works great. 118,900 miles. Changed every 3,000 miles. It also has the M 110 engine.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 280 SE
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replays.

I used Mobil on my 280 SE W126 Wich also has the M110 engine...

Thanks for the replays.

I used Mobil on my 280 SE W126 Wich also has the M110 engine but it was completely rebuilt a few years ago (Cost was about 6.000 euro) and runs like new, oil press never goes below 2 and has good valve seals.

But in terms of the engine in the 280 C its very Worne and could use a rebuilt head but because i cant afford that right now, could the use of products like Millitech improve the engines oil pressure and also make the valve seals not leak as much?

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Re: Thanks for the replays.I used Mobil on my 280 SE W126 Wich also has the M110 engine

But in terms of the engine in the 280 C its very Worne and could use a rebuilt head but because i cant afford that right now, could the use of products like Millitech improve the engines oil pressure and also make the valve seals not leak as much?
Daimler-Benz recommends that no additives are used in their engines. Personnely I would just stick to using a good brand of oil.

I have heard nothing good about addatives in the long term. They seem to give the illusion of seeming better from when you put them in, but in the long term some are actually harmful to engine. If you use good quality fuel you shouldnt have any problems. Most petrols come with a good detergent level and all the additives you need. Same goes for oil... change it often if your that worried, but use good oil and new filter...dont depend on any additives.

Slick 50, Prolong, ZMax, and Motorup don't really do any good at all (which is why they all have lawsuits against them in the States).

for example:
xcelplus.com/law_suit.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.