Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so some of this is covered in the DIY section but its useful to knw what mods/upgrades people have done.
Here are a list of mine:

Sand and restore Headlights
Replace H7 bulbs with Philips Extreme 100%
Replace BA9S H6 H6W sidelight bulbs with Osram Cool Blue (tried LEDs but didnt suit it)
Repaint calipers in silver
Replace tyres with Michelin Primacy – far better than awful P6000’s
Clean and Restore orion grey leather + steering wheel with gliptone products – excellent results
Fit white LED Canbus number plate lights
Silver indicator bulbs front and rear
Repair passenger heated mirror – loose/corroded connection
Replace all interior bulbs with white LED bulbs
Replace Cabin filter
Fit chrome vent rings
Fit SLK beige/white heater controls

So what other jobs have you guys done to sort/modernise/improve your W208's?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a nice mod today. Got a rear view mirror from a 2001 W210 that has auto dimming and ambient lighting. It's a straight plug and play fit. Got a set of AMG pedals off an SLK while I was there - all for £10. Very pleased.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Installed Comand 2.0

I have a diy on here somewhere.

I was the best mod ever. Better sound & decent GpS which is fully factory oem at this point.

Would not know wasn't factory ordered.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i got one question guys....

How do u remove the sticky "stuff" from the steering wheel buttons?

As u know with time they become like sticky/glue and it's not pleasant...can i remove it with some sort of cleaner/spray agent or something?...i too want to spray them afterwards with a clean coat and be done with it instead of buying new ones

i'm asking cause i don't want to try something and see that the markings/writings on the buttons will be erased in the process.

Tks .. good day...

·
Registered
3 Posts

As u know with time they become like sticky/glue and it's not pleasant...can i remove it with some sort of cleaner/spray agent or something?...i too want to spray them afterwards with a clean coat and be done with it instead of buying new ones

i'm asking cause i don't want to try something and see that the markings/writings on the buttons will be erased in the process.

Tks .. good day...
Hi Davidclk, to remove the sticky stuff from the buttons, use a screw driver and your nail to scratch it from the surface gently. Try and push/scratch to one corner and it will bunch up. Then grab the little ball of sticky stuff and throw it. I used some household spray on a rag and just cleaned it after that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just bought these for £150 ($235) for four immaculate wheels with nearly new fronts and pretty worn rears. Very happy as they are a straight fit with the correct offset.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts

Tks .. good day...
I have done absolute no modifications/changes to my CLK. I like that it is total standard. Not even a respray anywhere. 145,000km and just under 12 years old and still looks like new. (yeah, am getting a little edgy about looking at a new car, but still trying to justify forking out the money for a near-new E-Coupe or something similarly priced)

But, your "sticky/glue" query about the buttons reminded me, that I have changed something - yeah, I stratched it all off. Helps if you leave it out in the summer heat to soften it up. Then I just scratched it off with my finger nail while at traffic lights in heavy traffic. I used a small screwdriver for the edges/corners that were hard to get at. Took a while and was careful not to scratch it with the screwdriver. Looks good now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have done absolute no modifications/changes to my CLK. I like that it is total standard. Not even a respray anywhere. 145,000km and just under 12 years old and still looks like new. (yeah, am getting a little edgy about looking at a new car, but still trying to justify forking out the money for a near-new E-Coupe or something similarly priced)
Fair play for keeping things as standard. I wish I could leave things be but I cant when I know there are suitable mods that will leave the car looking standard but improve things. For example the auto dim mirror with ambient lighting is my favourite mod by far. It gives the cabin a nice warm glow and best of all I dont get blinded by headlights now. For £10 and with plug and play fitment that has got to be a great mod. Also if you have halogens the philips extreme 100% bulbs are a real safety feature for me. The standard halogens just arent all that (even with my newly restored lenses). In fact you will only notice how bad they are if you fit one philips extreme bulb and leave one standard one in then go for a drive. Its very apparent when the light hits the road that the philips is far brighter and has a much better range. Those two are the best mods I have done by far but the lights should be a starting point for any halogen equipped W208 owner.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Certainly in the UK it is the case that most don't. Yours will be a high spec car so I'd expect it to be on there.
Currently trying to work out how to retrofit footwell lighting. I have the parts but dont really want to start cutting things under the dash up just yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks good on those CLS rims. They look totally OE to me. What other mods have you done to it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts