Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm down to about half of the fuel that came with my ml350, and I'm wondering what is the best fuel, or if it even matters.

I had a Lincoln Aviator and when I put Shell V-power in, it seemed like the engine was much smoother and even seemed more powerful.

Has anyone had any difference in performance based on the brand of fuel they put in?

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
Brand means absolutely NOTHING. In fact in most cases different brand gas stations buy from one wholesale distribution center. What one needs to pay attention on is octane level. MB dictates premium fuel and that's what you should use. That's 91 and above. The higher the octane the more flammable the fuel resulting in slightly better performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The higher the octane the more flammable the fuel resulting in slightly better performance.
You have that backwards - higher octane fuel is actually less flammable, meaning the explosive force is more predictable and controllable.

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
Brand does mean a lot. Each brand adds (or doesn't) various types of detergents to their gasolines which aid in keeping the injection system clear of deposits. Lesser known brands do not add anything. Chevron is one of the best.

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
I've noticed a difference in power with more octane especially when there are 4 people in the car. Also, winter is harsh here and temperatures fall way below the freezing point, the higher octane fuels (91 +) contain an additive to help you on cold start.

My preference is Shell V-Power and I get better performance and mileage.

Just my 2 cents. (actually 2 cents per litre - approx. 1 quart, is the price diff. between 89 and 91 oct.).

·
Registered
2007 ML350
56 Posts
There is a difference according to this web site at least as far as deposit control is concerned. Notice the list of retailers meeting the standards is pretty long. Also Mercedes is not listed as one of the participating automakers.

Top Tier Gasoline

BillM

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
You have that backwards - higher octane fuel is actually less flammable, meaning the explosive force is more predictable and controllable.
I stand corrected. The higher the octane the lesser the flammability and more predictability.

As far as brands are concerned there is little or no measurable difference between brands. There are only so many refineries making the products and they sell to all. Also not all brands are available everywhere. For example in Western PA there are no Shell stations. Does that mean we are deprived of quality fuel? I don't think so.

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
As far as brands are concerned there is little or no measurable difference between brands. There are only so many refineries making the products and they sell to all. Also not all brands are available everywhere. For example in Western PA there are no Shell stations. Does that mean we are deprived of quality fuel? I don't think so.
The ML owner's manual actually states: "A major concern among engine manufacturers is carbon build-up caused by gasoline. Mercedes-Benz recommends only the use of quality gasoline containing additives that prevent the build-up of carbon deposits." It then goes on: "In areas where carbon deposits may be encountered due to lack of availability of gasoline which contains these additives, Mercedes-Benz recommends the use of additives approved by us for use on Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Refer to the Factory Approved Service Products pamphlet (USA only) or contact an authorized... blah blah blah."

So while I agree with you that gasoline is gasoline is gasoline, and that the octane rating is by far the most important consideration, it does appear that there is some wiggle room here to recommend one brand over another. Unless, of course, every gasoline contains the appropriate additive(s), which is possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts